Engine Questions

88Wrangles

I currently have a 1988 Wrangler, with the straight 4. I recenlty burned up one of the valves and also discovered there was no compression in two of the cylinders, including the one with the burned up valve. Before I fix that, I am going to check the block and make sure the cylinder walls, pistons, etc are alright.

If things aren't so good in the rest of the engine, and it needs to be rebuilt, I might just swap in something bigger. I was thinking something like a 350 or around that size and something I can find for a reaonable price.

So, what do ya'll recommend for an engine??

GM 4.3L Vortec V6. It puts out some great power in a smaller lighter package. Who wants to be like all the other 350 swaps?

I swapped a 350 into my old '88 YJ, so I'll help you where I can.

Re: Cat converter?

I like the 4.3 Vortec as well. The 4.0L is a good engine too and makes for an easier conversion but isn't going to give as much power as a 350 or even the 4.3L. Whatcha gonna do about a transmission?

Who wants to be like all the other 350 swaps?

I DO!!!!!! :p :roll:

But if I didn't have the 350 sitting around doing nothing I would've been hunting up a 4.3 myself. Nice mill with more than enough power for any Jeep. Also easy to work on and get parts for. 8)

I don't think the 4.0L is an easier conversion than the 350, you still have to swap the same stuff out, including cutting the motor mount perches from the frame, and you end up with a sloppier 4.0L installation than all the other thousands of 4.0L jeeps out there.

I think i remember somebody on here a long time ago talking about swapping a 300 Ford I6 into a jeep? Id sure like to see that one done, cuz i know thats a great motor.

Sorry, that was kinda off the subject.

Nathan

I'd like to see that new Chevy aluminum straight six in a Jeep. That motor makes 270hp in stock form. If you changed the chip and did some intake upgrades you could probably get 300 hp from it easily.

We have a '03 TrailBlazer, and I'd love to put that 275hp 4.2L I6 in my jeep, but the wife would kill me. Trust me, it'll be in the jeep someday, even if it's after 300K on the TrailBlazer. It's one helluva engine.

factory tint

So, about the GM 4.3L Vortec V6, What vehickes are they out of, and how available are they. I'm assuming that if I find one, I should grab the transmission as well, is this correct? I would probably have to have someone else hook it up for me, so how much APPROXIMATELY would that be? Should I just go to a wrecking yard for one?

The wrecking yards seem to be wanting around $700-$800 for the 4.3. Does this seem like a fairly normal amount? what vehicle and year should I be looking for?

Mid to late '90's S10 pickup and S10 Blazer, also the similar GMC vehicles. Get the transmission with it, auto or manual, and the NP231C. The transfer case is almost identical to yours, but you're guaranteed it will bolt to the transmission.

If emissions laws are an issue where you live, you may be required to get an engine the same year or newer than your jeep.

Back