Tire/Hi-Lift Carrier Suggestions

Special_K

Hello All. I finally gave in and ordered a Tuffy Deluxe Stereo Security Console from Desert Rat yesterday after breaking my stock console. I hope I get it in time to install it this coming weekend. I had my stereo stolen in January and this will give me peace of mind for that and when I want to leave valuables in.

I've never had my hi-lift jack mounted to my YJ, and that's a pain, so my next purchase will be new bumpers including a rear tire and high lift jack carrier. I like the Warn bumper/tire carrier combo, but it doesn't have a hi-lift jack carrier unless you fab one on...but the foot of the jack comes within 1/2" of the tailgate. The wilderness rack has too much on it for me. Any suggestions?

A local off-road shop referred me to a fab shop that regularly makes nice custom bumper/tire carrier/jack & whatever you want combos. I'll go there if there's nothing off the shelf that I like.

Thanx!!

Ken

Low Oil Pressure?

I have the warn bumper and tire carrier... i got the hi-ligt bumper mount kit thing and bolted it right onto the tire carrier. I'll find some pictures if you need.

Transfer Case Question...

I have an olympic bumper and bought the hi-lift mounting kit. Drilled eight holes through the crossmember and bolted it on, I used carrage bolts on the outside to make it look cleaner and center punched the bolt and hammered the threaded end so the bolts cant be backed out ( will need to be ground off if ever needed to be replaced) for saftey reasons and theif protection. Two small master locks keep the jack with me, yes I know they can easly be cut but if you didnt bring a set of bolt cutters to not getting mine :D
We did the same to a warn as well...looks good

image-missing.png

You can always span your rear roll bars with it, clamping it on with some U bolts. I go back and forth between that when its muddy, or bolted on to my rear bumper when its nice out (as it usually is here :wink: )

My rear bumper/tire carrier came with a high lift mount for it. All they did was weld on a piece of metal at the top of the main post that holds the tire up. The metal piece that's welded on has two lug nut bolts welded to it that I can bold my high lift to. I'll take a pic sometime this week when I get a chance.

LGR, pics of your warn would be awesome. You post them or e-mail 'em...which ever is easier. Do you have enough clearance between the jack and the tailgate?

95 YJ NY

Two wingnuts and the jack is ready to use, always clean when you need it. Tough to keep them in working order when storing them outside.
image-missing.png

sorry it took so long, couldn't find my USB cable for it. The picture is kind of large, i tried to make it smaller and it would be too dark. but here it is.

image-missing.png

feh..its always dark. worst digital camera EVER! flash no flash. nothing helps!..hopfully you can get an idea from it

Thats pretty slick Craig, I like how you can use one lock for the tire and the jack. Such a pain in the butt having so many keys. Who is the manufacturer of that setup? I found one fairly similar from a guy out of British Columbia (except for it held the jack at a 45), it wouldn't be the same guy would it?

OutOfStep said:
Thats pretty slick Craig, I like how you can use one lock for the tire and the jack. Such a pain in the butt having so many keys. Who is the manufacturer of that setup? I found one fairly similar from a guy out of British Columbia (except for it held the jack at a 45), it wouldn't be the same guy would it?
Probably is the same guy. His company name is Serious Metal and he's located about a 20 minute drive from me. He's making the High Lift mount at a 45 degree angle now because the way mine is setup, the tailgate on the hardtop will hit the high lift. Mine is fine the way it is because I only take my high lift when off roading. I don't go off road too much in the winter which is when I have my hardtop on. I'm thinking about converting mine to a 45 degree angle sometime but I'm in no hurry.

Those are all pretty slick lookin setups. Anyone know if anyone makes one with a trail rack on it that's good-n-sturdy? All the one I've seen look like they'd fold if you put more then a sixpack ice-chest on them.

Here's mine... I didn't feel like handing over most of my paycheck for a tire carrier and bumper, especially since my tire is so damn big, so I made my own...ONE BEEFY BUMPER AND ONE BEEFY CARRIER. I mounted my HiLift like Bounty did... out of the way and keeps it somewhat clean.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Theres more here...
http://groups.msn.com/SickAutos/historyofmy91wrangler.msnw?Page=4

Back