2003 TJ with "Gear Slap" problem (auto)???

ShyD33

I've had my 2003 TJ for about 2 months now and this is the story. I'm cruising along above 40mph, and whenever I either coast and then brake...or just start braking....EVERY TIME when the speedometer getss around 30mph ( corresponding to the auto transmission droppin the gears down to first again i guess) my jeep jerks forward due to something hitting, slapping, catching, i dunno. Maybe its always happening from second to first gear??? I have done no offroad driving yet. What the hell??? Has anyone experienced this before, or have any suggestions to fix when I go to the dealership?
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Yeah, my son once had a problem with his slapping stick too. Its ok to let it out, we are here for you...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I had a problem with my automatic transmission on my 2002 TJ that's sounds similar. Mine happened when I was stopped than acclerated...it felt as if the brake was still on, the jeep would hesitate than I would shoot forward. Checked the transmission fluid...about the extent of my mechanical knowledge...which was fine, so I immediately took it back to the dealer. Here is what they said it was: governer snap rings broke and would dump all line pressure, clutches burnt, debris stuck in GOV and Valve body...so they replaced all clutches, seals, governor, and valve body. Have to admit its made me a bit nervous that I have already had major problems with such a new jeep...however, I'll hope for the best in the future. Your 2003 is definately still under warrenty...so take it in. And since its sooo new, do as I did and ask for a rental car to replace your jeep while its being fixed. Dealers know about Jeep owners word-of-mouth and want to keep you happy. Good luck.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back