Need help diagnosing a problem with my tj please

FLjeepGURL

For about a week now I have been having a problem when I accelerate. I will be driving along with my foot steady on the gas and all of a sudden it seems like no gas is getting to the engine and it will jump forward. If I depress the clutch and coast in neutral for a few seconds and than shift back into gear it seems ok. But sometimes it will do it again a few seconds later. It seems to do it after I have been driving for 20 minutes or so or if I try to accelerate really fast. If anyone has any idea about what might be wrong please let me know. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a fuel pump going out. Its not a cheap part, $300 or so depending where you get one but fairly easy to replace, just try to drive out as much fuel as you can, the less fuel in the tank the easier it is to handle when pulling it.

sounds like a fuel issue, the first thing that i would check is the fuel filter. That would be the easiest cure. If that isnt it, then its most likely the pump.

0III0forlife said:
sounds like a fuel issue, the first thing that i would check is the fuel filter. That would be the easiest cure. If that isnt it, then its most likely the pump.

If it was the filter it wouldn't wait 20 min to get good and hot to start acting up :)

If the fuel pump and filter is good I would look at the crank position sensor. My buddy was having the same issue in tj after we went threw the filter and pump we found out that it was a bad sensor.

Ditto on the fuel issue. Could be the pump or a clogged pickup screen. Its in the tank, so its a bit of work to get to it.

Changed the sensor yesterday and it seems to be running fine. I haven't had an incident since. Hopefully that will be the only thing I have to change. Thanks for all your help.

Back