97 Wrangler noises

CO

I am about to purchase a 97 Wrangler (55k) when i suddenly hear some unidentified noises...not being a previous jeep owner, I hope someone can tell me if these are normal sounds or something I should be concerned with - I plan on closing the sale tonight so i need help ASAP!
Noise #1: Today is cold out and I had the windows closed for the first time. At appx 30mph i begin to hear a rough wind sound coming from the front of the jeep. Is this something inside or outside? Is this odd or is something I notice now only because my windows are up?
Noise #2: In low gears i hear a creaking noise from the shift column.
Noise #3: At low speeds and tight corners my tires squeal.

Please help me be confident in my purchase!!!

Never had a new Jeep, but I do know that most soft tops give a "rushing air" sound.

The tires squealing in tight turns sounds like the Jeep may be in 4 wheel drive. Check again that it's in 2wd. Do the front or rear wheels squeal?

Terry

Was just browsing posts and my tires do the same thing! But i'm not in 4WD, and it sounds like just the front... Why is that? Operator malfunction or what? Seeing as how this is my first Jeep, I figured it was just me...

Thanks!

Yes- I'm definately not in 4WD. It seems to be coming from the front tires.
I'm beginning to think its normal- the other day I heard a Jeep Cherokee do the same thing ...

CO - I too have a '97 Wrangler with squeaky front tires when turning at tight turns and low speed. 90% of the time, the sound happens when inside a parking garage. Does it happen on the road as well?

I think the sound in the front of the jeep is simply a jeep thing that you haven't experienced yet in your previous cars/trucks. Trust me - you will get used to it. (as well as the bumpy ride)

If you have Goodyear tires on, they tend to have a softer compound and will squeel when cornering. I had Goodyears on a 77 Maverick when I 17 and I got pulled over several times because the cops thought I was trying to show off, Well not when they pulled me over at least. Any way I digress from my point which is that some tires will squeel more than others.
Soft tops do make alot of noise, and you would not hear it till the windows are up. There are tops available that are quieter like the Sail Cloth Tops by Rock Crusher.
Oh the creaking noises could be there all the time you just hear it at slow speeds.
Solution drive with the top down all the time and forget 'bout it. Until the transmission goes up in smoke or something major happens.
image-missing.png

Same problem with out '99 TJ; lots of wind noise, and as for the Goodyear tires...same! She used to yell at me when I dropped her off at the train, I would turn and they would squeal! We went to Michelins and that solved the tire noise.

For those of you with squeeling ties.... check your air pressure. My'97 does it to and I decreased my pressure in the fronts to between 29-31 p.s.i.

Actually - now that you mention it....When i accidently let the tires go low, the squeaky tires did stop!
In any case - despite the squeaky tires, the blowing noise and the creaking gear shift, i bought the thing and i love it. Of course!

Well, I was in accident that put my Tj out of business for a while, I was
given a Dodge Ram 1500 as a rental..
I was wondering
1) Why is this thing so darn quiet
2) My tires don't squeek when i turn tight
3) The suspension must be outa wack (too smooth)

image-missing.png

[addsig]

Back