Bunch-o-Questions 'bout '76/'77 CJ's

prariepunk

Pardon me, I'm knee deep in research right now:
1st. What is it gonna take to convert manual to power steering? I know a new steering shaft, pump, box, pulley and hoses, but what about mounting bracket, steering column? What about the differance in years, can I convert a 1976-79 system to 1980-86?

2nd. How about manual brakes to power? just the Master Cyl.? What about a Power Brake Booster ($160 @ 4WheelDrive Hardware)? Again with the year issues, it shows '76-'78 and '78-'86 and some times they just start at 1977 and don't include 1976.... am I S.O.L.?

All the steering components should be the same on all years of the CJ. Look at part numbers in the catalogs to confirm this. The mounting holes for the box should already be in your frame. You will have to get salveage brackets for the pump.
The 76-78 had a different vacuum booster. They also had 11" brakes. I think they went to 10" brakes after that. All year power brake units should bolt up. If not it is easy enough to drill the holes. The booster bracket is usually the hardest part to come by. You also need the longer push rod.
Why power brakes? The manuals don't work?

Back