YJ springs

jaymz77

So, I finally dropped my new chevy 4.3l v6 into my '88 YJ and stood back to take in the sights only to realize. "Wow, my front end sits low. Really low." The 4.3 was only supposed to be 60 lbs. heavier than the I4 2.5l I pulled out so I didn't worry about suspension. However, I am running 31x10 tires and no lift, so obviously I am worried about more rubbing than I already had. I guess my question is what can I do to beef up my old sagging springs. I know I should replace them but, give me a break I just finished an engine swap. Maybe add a leaf kit?

AAL suck, I'll never do it again. I put an AAL in when I did my SOA, it did give me a decent 1" after settling but the ride is so stiff I wish every day that I got new springs. I'll be getting some RE SOA springs for mine.

I've installed several full-length AAL kits (all homemade) and never increased the harshness of the ride. Lifted 1.5" each time. I take a set of stock YJ front spring packs and cut the spring eyes off. Then use the top two leaves of each pack, all the way around. Don't forget to buy new spring center pins.

Looks like home made is the way to go then for AAL. I bought Rancho full leafs. BLEH. Oh well, onward and upward.

I'll never use AAL's again. The ride wasn't bad but they sagged quickly and there is no comparison to the ride quality of good aftermarket springs.

Combining stock leaves together may work for a while, but they will most likely not flex very well, sag over time, and they will be prone to breakage as different leaves are designed to work together, so one leaf very well may end up taking the brunt of the load at times (also reason for sagging). Snitty's Jeep is a good example of this, as is my XJ.

Drop the coin on a new set of springs now, instead of after you are disgusted with an AAL setup and end up doing it twice.

Back