Speaker help!!

pilgrimninja17

I just bought an amp for my 89 yj, and i was going to upgrade the exsisting speakers in the front, just for a little extra kick, i intend on buying a sound bar in the future when i get another 200 bucks...what size speakers can i upgrade to in the front??...what will fit?

it's a 1000 watt amp so i have the power if i need it.

The stock speakers are 4x6. I just put two pioneer 2 ways up there that were plastic cones because it's fairly involved to get to those 2 speakers and i didn't want water and mud ruining them. Have to drop the windshield, tilt the bottm of the dash out(still not a lot of room), shove your hands up there and change it without really being able to see what you're doing.

Get the best ones you can afford, they are 4x6 and you dont have to drop the windshield. The passenger side is some what easy if you take the glovebox out and the driver side just sucks but can be done with 1/4" drive extensions and wobbler(little hands help too)

I replaced mine without taking anything apart. You will need patience because the drivers side is anything but easy. If you get lucky you can get them off by loosening them with your hands (after some liquid wrench). Mine were stock in a '90 and both speakers only had two screws in them. Use wing nuts when you replace them to make it easy to tighten and replace later on.

what are the max output of the pioneer speakers??

would best buy and/or circuit city have the tool/skills to install them??

its easy enough to do yourself, if you buy the speakers from crutchfield.com they'll send you detailed instructions on how to replace them or walk you through it on the phone.

Yeah it's not too difficult at all to change them sorry if i scared you with my first post. I just went out there and stuck my hands under the dash and i guess it would be possible to change without pulling the dash out a little but the drivers side will suck. If you can't fit your hands up there then pull the windshield forwards(6 screws i think?) then if i remember correctly there are some screws on the top of the dash but it's not a big deal and does give you some extra handroom(esp. on the driver's side). Most places around here charge extra for cj and yj speaker installation because they claim it's harder than normal cars.

I changed mine when I bought my 88. I put Sony speaker in from Walmart. Get the red ones. I forget the model name, but they are very good speakers. I placed matching rear 6x9s in custom speaker boxes that fit in front of the wheel well. I like these better than the sound bar, and the wiring can be run under the carpet. Very easy. I have to admit the passenger side front slipped right in very easy. The driver side is another issue. I don't have small hands, so I ended up pulling apart the dash. Sounds bad, but is actually pretty easy. Takes time, but is not hard. If you have a small set of hands available, try that first. Don't take it in to one of the hack shops like BestBuy, or Circiut City. You can do this yourself.

alright, but what about the larger bits for unscrewing the front grill on the speakers...i have the smaller bit, but the larger bit i think i will have to buy...

polk or pioneer?? (from crutchfield.com)

Last edited:
pilgrimninja17 said:
alright, but what about the larger bits for unscrewing the front grill on the speakers...i have the smaller bit, but the larger bit i think i will have to buy...

polk or pioneer?? (from crutchfield.com)
The speakers unbolt from the rear not the front. There are studs the speakers slip over and are held on with little nuts :).....My vote is for polk audio over pioneer.

thanks, i would have ripped apart the dash before i figured that one out...

doesn't polk make sound bars?

Back