temp ? and shackle?

slo-wrench44

what is the normal operating temp for the 258? whats too hot? i have heard a few different things and want to know for sure.
i was thinking of putting a shackle reversal on my yj. i know the pros and cons . but i see that the aftermarket companies say its only good for 3 inchs of lift max. anyone know why? anyone running it with a 4" or more of lift? i want to know the facts befor i buy. any preferances as for manufacturer? thanks guys

not sure about the shackle question... my 89 258 runs 180-190 even in 110+ deg weather - only heats more than that pulling a hill ... generally you dont want to run over 210 or so... just my $.02 - hope it helped...

210 is about normal in all the ones I have owned.

Shackle reversals are controversial. I'd like to do one in my YJ for the better approach angle and for the smoother ride. I don't buy into the losing traction theory but that is opinion not experience. You very well may need to replace the front driveshaft if you do one.

The largest shackle reversal kit I have seen is Full Traction's 2" lift version. ANy one that provides lift would definately increase the chance of needing to lengthen the front driveshaft.

well thanks guys. my yj has recently started running 210 when on my way home and it normally runs 190 on the way home. it was around 38 degrees out when i was driveing. it just doesnt make sense.

It should fluctuate as the thermostat opens and closes. The fluctuation isn't as noticeable in the warmer months as often it may just remain open while running. In the winter months, it cycles through opening and closing which is probably what you are noticing now.

Also required with a shackle reversal is the use of a long spline driveshaft. Reason being is the motion of the axle changes, and the driveshaft experiences more extreme amounts of travel with a shackle reversal than with a standard set up. With a shackle reversal, under droop the axle moves down (away from the tcase) and forward (away from the tcase more). Under compression it moves up (closer to the case) and back (closer to the case again). Normally, the axle would move up (towards the case) and forward (away from the case) or the axle would move down (away from the case) and back (towards the case). This is why a normal shackle set up uses a front driveshaft with about 3 inches of travel, and a shackle reversal needs a shaft with 12 inches or more of travel.

The real reason for a shackle reversal is not to gain lift, which happens anyway because of the adjustements required to maintain the proper spring orientation, but to increase the comfort of the ride and keep from bashing your front shackles and give you something more solid than your springs to absorb the impact of rocks and other obstacles.

Back