New Jeep Owner, need some help

YJoffroad

Hey guys,I'm new here and I recently just bought an '89 YJ 2.5L, and I absolutely love it. Everything on it is as stock as it gets(this will be changing quickly). To get to my issues though;
First problem is pretty minimal, my passenger side wiper needs to be re-ajusted( it's too far down), and i was wondering if there was a way to do that without having to fold the windshield down and get as the motor.

Second issue is I feel like the engine is really being robbed of power. Now this could be because my other truck is a Dodge with the 5.2L, and i'm just not use to the 2.5L. But I really feel like she's lagging on the highway. Does this have to do with the 4.10 gears? or is this a normal issue for my jeep.
I really appretiate any advice you can give. I've been reading alot of the other threads and you guys give alot of good advice.

First off, welcome to the "Z"!! You've come to the right place - lot's of knowledgeable, friendly folks here.

As to your wiper blade.......I've messed with it on my Jeep, but basically there should be a nut or a screw holding the arm onto a grooved shaft. You can remove the arm, move it over a cog or two, and everything should be "groovy". I've done something similar on other vehicles in the past - not sure if the YJ's are the same, but I can't imagine why they would be any different.

As to your power (or lack of same)..........I have an '03 with the 2.4L and, yes, she doesn't exactly blow anybody's doors off on the highway. I've adapted (don't really drive that fast anymore anyway) and, after over 100K miles, I still love driving it - especially off the pavement where the 4 bangers truly do shine! Yes, the 4.10 gears affect it as does the lack of displacement. Larger tires will also play a role........something to keep in mind. I might as well not even have 5th gear - don't remember the last time I used it - but my little 4banger just loves running at 3000-3500 rpm.

my two bits and, once again, welcome aboard!!!

Last edited:
YJoffroad, I just bought (have not yet installed) the TJ style wipers, and from the picutres on the instruction manual, I can tell you mud4feet is right... Do as he mentiones, and you should not have any problems.

As for the engine, I have a '94 4 banger on 31" tires, and although I still use 5th, it does feel a bit underpowered, especially on the highway on windy days, where a head wind will prevent you from maintaining speed on 5th even on flat stretches (we have miles and miles of those here in FL!). I do plan to put on 33" tires, and change the gears to 4.88 when I install lockers some time in the future, but that is many many months from now, so I cannot tell you if that fixes the problem (I think it will make it less bad, but still the 2.5L engine will struggle at high speeds).

Felipe

Yea, the wipers just pop off the studs (may take some effort), and the 4 banger isn't a power hog on the highway. It is however a gem offroad. It's light and full of torque. Ask me how I know :D

Corrupt, one question (since you have the 4 banger as well); on my 4banger, you really start feeling the torque at around 2.5K RPMs. Below 2K it feels a bit sluggish, I guess... Is this normal?

I drove a 4.0L the other day, and it felt similar, but the torque I felt at a bit higher RPMs, so I am thinking it is normal... But just wanted to make sure.

Felipe

thanks you guys i really appretiate it, i haven't had any luck with the wiper yet but i'll keep trying. What you are saying makes sense, I guess maybe i'm just being to gentle.
As for the power issue, that's good to know that it's normal. I was just thrown off 'cause we've got some hills on the highways here in Upstate NY, so I couldn't understand why i was losing speed so bad in 5th and having to shift down. Again, thank you, and i'm glad i joined

Corrupt, one question (since you have the 4 banger as well); on my 4banger, you really start feeling the torque at around 2.5K RPMs. Below 2K it feels a bit sluggish, I guess... Is this normal?

I drove a 4.0L the other day, and it felt similar, but the torque I felt at a bit higher RPMs, so I am thinking it is normal... But just wanted to make sure.

Felipe

Yea the power band on the 2.5 is b/w about 2200 RPM and 3300 RPM. Thats usually what I rev to when I need to get moving real quick, not that it moves incredibly quick, but you get my point.

thanks you guys i really appretiate it, i haven't had any luck with the wiper yet but i'll keep trying. What you are saying makes sense, I guess maybe i'm just being to gentle.
As for the power issue, that's good to know that it's normal. I was just thrown off 'cause we've got some hills on the highways here in Upstate NY, so I couldn't understand why i was losing speed so bad in 5th and having to shift down. Again, thank you, and i'm glad i joined

You were worried about having to down shift on a hill with a 4 cylinder? You got a whole lot ahead of you then :D

i'm not worried about it anymore, it's just a new concept to me. I'm use to a big V8, haha, so you can see where my initial response came from.

Welcome to the love hate Jeep owners' world!

The 4 banger isn't for everyone, but I absolutely loved the one I had. I have had 3 YJ's, an XJ, and an LJ and my favorite by far was the 2.5L YJ. Keep the RPM's up over 2K and remember it's not a hot rod it's a Jeep. It's the day you have 2' of snow when it's a superhero or when your overzealous buddy gets his H2 stuck you can show him the superiority of your little 4 cyl Jeep.

It's basic raw transportation, but it's "go-anywhere" transportation... enjoy it, especially now the topless/doorless weather is drawing near !

What you describe sounds about normal for a 18 year old 2.5L with tbi. The newer mpfi version makes a little more power, but nothing to brag about. Do as some did with a few power mods, and the 2.5L is a lot more liveable. I added a larger camshaft and several other mods, and it is pretty fun to drive.

My most recent mod was 5.38 axle gears, pulls the 35" tires really well. 5th is very useable, pulling about 65mph at 3000rpms. With the addition of larger tires, you'll want to regear the axles appropriately.

Check out www.4bangerjp.com and the forums for more 2.5L specific tech.

Back