Best way to clean the intake manifold?

ezwrangler

OK, im about to put in the reman 4.0 in my 94 yj. One of the items the manual stresses is to make sure the intake manifold is clean so you dont suck in crap into the "new" engine and ruin it. So, anyone have any good suggestions on how to do this properly? I did squirt some carb cleaner up each port, and tried to brush out the buildup with a toothbrush, but i cant get all of it out - i cant get to it... I cant reach everywhere inside the intake manifold. How obsessive do I need to be about this? Do i need to get absolutely everything out? Help...

It needs to be as clean as you can get it. Look inside with a flash light and see if you have anything in there. If it looks bad, you can take it down to an engine or radiator shop and have them hot tank it.

I think that your finished!
I know you've spent a hell of a lot more time & energy than I would have. I'm turning wrenched for over 50 years and I can see knocking off the obvious carbon build up and hitting the face with a little sandpaper so that it allows the gasket to do its job. I'd finish it off by giving it a shot of degreaser, a little scrubbing, a wash with the garden hose and than give the whole thing a good blowing out. Done! Put it together & that's it!

Thanks 60 Biscayne and shvlhd666. I think ill flush it out with a garden hose, dry it and call it a winner.

Thanks for the feedback! 8)

I'm with Biscayne and shovel head, 31 years in the trade. Blow it out with air. After its up and running, run some seafoam through the intake. Be careful not to hydrolock the engine.

Back