CJ 7 Fuel Gauge Question

Crusader

Guys,

I posted this question over in the Electrical section, got a handful of viewers, but no responses; so, I thought I'd post it here in hopes of someone reading it with experience/advice to share:

I have an '85 CJ7 (6-cylinder) with a fuel gauge that does not work. I don't want to pay a shop to replace it (they have looked at it and said the sending unit and tank are okay, just needs a new gauge), but I am not exactly sure how to go about doing it myself. I really don't want to buy the whole speedometer cluster and replace it, nor do I want to take the cluster apart and install/insert a new, original equipment fuel gauge in it. What I would like to do, is buy a less expensive after market 2" gauge and attach it on the dash near the cluster.

The parts shop tells me I need to know the ohm readings for the tank when it is empty and when it is full--can any of you guys tell me what those numbers would be?

Secondly, when I took the cluster out, I saw that there is a wire connecting the fuel gauge and the temp gauge (that also does not work, but it doesn't bother me, and I am trying to keep my costs down, so I will not plan on replacing it). Will I need to connect that wire to the new gauge, or does it matter?

If anyone can answer my questions and/or offer additional advice/recommendations based on your experience, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Crusader

Empty = 73 ohms
1/2 Tank = 23 ohms
Full tank = 10 ohm

Here are a few more links on CJ guages:

error must have 5 post to be able to post links.

Wow, great links and information guys, thanks a bunch. I'm not skilled enough to do all the electrical testing but I have a buddy who is, so that info will come in handy. Thanks again!

Back