Lifting

Skinny412

My boyfriend just got a loan to fix up his '97 Wrangler and we're extremely excited. Step two on our list is to raise it up a bit. When he bought it, it came with 31 inch wheels on it but it wasn't lifted at all. Needless to say the tires rub when we turn. We just want to eliminate the rubbing, maybe give some extra room to put bigger tires on later. I've had some people tell me spacers, and some tell me springs. Neither one of us really understands a lot about it but we don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars at most on it.

Can someone explain the difference to me and suggest some products? I've been looking on quadratec but I'm really not sure what we should buy.

Thanks Guys :)

Look at a body lift,they are not very expensive and if you can use hand tools you can do it your self,take your time and have some friends come over and fire up the grill and have a lifting party.:lol:

Get different rims.It will stop the rubbing.I assume it only rubs when you turn the wheel all the way to one side.I also have a 97 and have the same problem.Either get new rims or if your are looking at bigger tires in the future a budget lift is a good idea.Budget lift will not change your handling but give you about a 2.5" lift and a reasonable rate.normally around $250 to $400 depending on which system and which shocks you go with.

Get different rims.It will stop the rubbing.I assume it only rubs when you turn the wheel all the way to one side.I also have a 97 and have the same problem.Either get new rims or if your are looking at bigger tires in the future a budget lift is a good idea.Budget lift will not change your handling but give you about a 2.5" lift and a reasonable rate.normally around $250 to $400 depending on which system and which shocks you go with.

Can you suggest an online product for me from somewhere so I can see exactly what I need to get, or at least have a guideline of some sort.

Thanks so much

The front wheels are likely rubbing on the lower control arms at full-lock. Can be easily fixed by not turning as sharp or by adjusting the steering stops. You will see a bolt on the back side of each steering knuckle, threaded into a nut welded to the knuckle. Back the bolt out and reinstall with a washer beneath it. This will limit your turning radius slightly and reduce/eliminate the rubbing.

You can also help alleviate the problem by buying rims with less backspacing or using wheel spacers.

pro comp or skyjacker are really good lifts. they will normally have everything you need from shocks to all the bolts you need. just remember you should also get an adjustable control arms and a drop pitman arm. good luck with everything with your jeep

pro comp or skyjacker are really good lifts. they will normally have everything you need from shocks to all the bolts you need. just remember you should also get an adjustable control arms and a drop pitman arm. good luck with everything with your jeep
You really don't need adjustable control arms until you get over 3" of lift, even then longer fixed lowers will often do the job. And you don't need a drop pitman arm until you get way over 4" of lift.

These jeepers said they want a 'little bit' of lift to clear the 31" tires they already have.

Back