Check engine light...

gdp057

I have a '00 TJ 2.5L. Recently on the tail end of a 3 hour drive I felt a slight jolt and the check engine light came on. Still driving ok, and no real knocking or extra lugging noticeable. Any ideas of what I might be looking at?

Also any way to check the engine diagnostic codes? I read that I could turn it off-on 3 times in 5 sec and the check engine light would blink indicating the code but havent seemed to be able to get this to work.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

With the key off, hold the trip reset button down then turn the key on engine off then release the button and see if the cluster performs a self diagnostic. If it does, it should give you a P-code on the odometer screen.

I know for my 97 tj,not sure if it is different.

Turn the key on,off,on,off,and on at that point the check engine light should flash.Count the flashes for first number then short pause then count for second..If you have a digital display just look there it will show there also.The last code you should see is 55 that is the end code.Any other codes you receive post here.Also you could stop at an auto store they will usually scan it for free,some will reset them,but not all.

Back