Help! 304 2100 stalling mystery.

Papalybbs

Hello. I have a 1980 CJ7 304 2100 motorcraft. The engine runs and idles great, but it has been stalling after I drive for 20 minutes or so. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will start again and idle fine, but as soon as you accelerate down the road a bit it stalls again and won't start, even if you hold the pedal to the floor. If you let it sit over night it's good for 20 minutes again. It has fuel and air (replaced fuel pump and filter) and I've played with the choke. I also wired the choke wide open to try it. I am pretty mechanically incline, but I usually work on Mopars. Could it be electrical? (something overheating, coil ect...?) Maybe float adjustment? Just seems weird how well it Idles and runs great at first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:???::bomb:

It sounds more like either the coil or the ignition module that fails when it heats up.

I think I found the problem. My fuel bowl is not filling up all the way. I played with the float and cleaned the input. My replacement pump has good pressure when starting, but very little when running. Maybe a worn cam lobe? Either way I have an electric pump on the way. I like them better anyways. Also, I can reroute the lines to avoid vapor lock. This better work so I can move on to other problems. Fun.

Success! I had to replace the tank and sending unit. The tank was pretty rusty and the sock filter on the sending unit intake would plug with sediment after driving for awhile.

Back