01 4.0 running hot?

pooch01tj

My tj runs between 210 and 220 all the time. I cleaned the rad. and all the fluids are good I was gonna change the thermostat next? anyone have any ideas?

After replacing the t.stat and purging the air out of the cooling system, make sure the water pump and the clutch fan is working properly. While re-checking for the concern, see if there is any presence of antifreeze coming out of the tail pipe IF the temp is still at 210-220*F . in the worst case scenario it's possible that it could be a leaking headgasket or a hairline crack in the cylinder head. Verify that the engine oil is not contaminated with coolant as well. Often, the Radiator cap is overlooked as the culprit but this symptom indicates a boil out thru the overflow reservoir.

Last edited:
I'm gonna test the cap and pressure test. I'm gonna change the thermostat for sure. my oil is clean so I hope I don't have a pulse when I pressure test

what temp thermostat should i get I was thinking 180

180 is the old pre emmissions days.

with emmissions comes higher operating temps to burn cleaner.

my 95 radiator rotted many of the fins off and ran hot until I put a good radiator in it. if you see fins missing and bare vertical tubes, you won't run cool.

last thought is if someone put leak stopper in it at some point and insulated the heat transfer surfaces.

Back