changing wrangler heater core

espyking83

my heater core in my 92 yj is taking a dump.im not the most mechanical person out there but is this something i can do myself or should i leave it to a mechanic?

I guess I'm about to find out. Mine was leaking and I had to bypass it, yesterday. the part is only $40.

I will replace mine next week (19-23) I'll let you guys know what you'll be up against. Mine is a piece of crap and I'm freezing.

Yeah, it got cold here today and I am considering doing mine this weekend. I just have one problem. I am still losing water. It's not leaking, it's not getting in the crankcase, and it's not coming out of the heater core because it's bypassed!

What the crap!?!?!?!?! Where's the water going!?!?!??!

Yeah, it got cold here today and I am considering doing mine this weekend. I just have one problem. I am still losing water. It's not leaking, it's not getting in the crankcase, and it's not coming out of the heater core because it's bypassed!

What the crap!?!?!?!?! Where's the water going!?!?!??!
Bad head gasket maybe?

I have thought about that. If it ruptured to an exhaust port, that would explain the 'disappearing' water.

I have been pricing rebuild parts all morning. It would only cost about $600.00 (incuding machine work) to do a complete overhaul. I just can't do a head job on an engine with 168K on it. That would surely be asking too, much of those old rings.

Oh, well! Looks like it may be time to dust off the old engine hoist.

Yeah, I was hoping for that but, the water pump is dry as a bone. There is just no sign of a leak, anywhere.

The oil looks fine. None of the tell-tale foam or oil/water seperation. I'm gonna' keep driving it and adding the necessary water. If it continues to lose it I'll try the black pepper remedy, that my Dad taught me, before tearing down the engine.

Sounds like your core is fine since it's bypasse3d8)
Ok I know how tempting the pepper remedy is but be prepared for the consequences. I just replaced my radiator, water pump and hoses because the previous owner used a quick fix solution in the cooling system.
Have you checked your drain plug at the btm radiator? Also, can you smell it? Also, have you looked at the top part of that radiator to see if there is any leak there? And have you brought it up to temp and looked at the cooling system to see if it's weeping out under pressure? How's your overflow bottle look? Blah blah blah...

The heater core was definately bad. It was dripping coolant onto the passenger floorboard. At this point I'm not really worried about the consequences of an additive, pepper or otherwise because, if the leak doesn't stop I'll have to tear down the engine, anyways.

I'm 95% convinced that the head gasket is the culprit.

It's not so, bad. I'm kinda' looking forward to doing this rebuild with my kids (son-17 & daughter-14). Besides, I'm thinking about boring out the little four-banger and getting a few more horses out of it.

I tackled the heater core, yesterday, and was plesantly surprised. It was about a two hour job, taking my time and sipping two cups of coffee.

Here's the rundown.
Remove the battery and battery box, including the fuse box. Remove the 5-6 1/4" nuts holding the air box to the firewall and the heater hoses.

Go inside and take the heater control cables loose. Unplug the two electrical connections (One is the fan motor, the other...?)

Jiggle and pull the air box in a rolling out motion.

Once out, use a 5/16" socket to remove the two screws from the heater core and a 1/4" socket to disassemble the box. From there you simply pull out the old heater core and replace it with the new one, using a little weatherstripping.

Reverse the order and you are done. Getting the box back in place was ridiculously easy! (I hope it's that easy for others)

You will break the little heater control cable keepers. That will have to be worked out, maybe with zip ties(?). My cables don't work right, anyway, so I will just switch it manually.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks! This made the job a heck of a lot easier even though most of the bolts were rusted after 20 years of Cincinnati winters!
-
I tackled the heater core, yesterday, and was plesantly surprised. It was about a two hour job, taking my time and sipping two cups of coffee.

Back