Clicking front wheel 03 wrangler

Mikey4x4

I have a clicking noise when I'm driving slow or fast and a shake looking under the jeep. There is a u- joint on the end of my axle near the hub that is bad can I just replace the u- joint or do I need to replace the whole assembly.

Thanks for the help

No no the u joint can be replaced easily. Do em on the trail all the time.

Update-- replaced u joint but clicking is still there thinking it maybe the t-case chain,checked fluid in tcase it's fine, killed engine-still clicked. But doesn't click in 4whl drive. I need help with this one

Hi. It sounds to me like a knuckle U Joint!Yes near the hubs. Not a driveshaft U joint. If this is the case it's not something you would tear apart and fix on the trail. Do you hear more clicking while going around turns? Good luck!

Yeah I put all new u joints in some were bad. But it was in the t case I rebuilt it and now thinking it was the pads on shifting fork all back together and no clicking now.

We change them on the trail all the time. Takes 20 min.

mattduran said:
Hi. It sounds to me like a knuckle U Joint!Yes near the hubs. Not a driveshaft U joint. If this is the case it's not something you would tear apart and fix on the trail. Do you hear more clicking while going around turns? Good luck!

Yeah lol your right I could if I had a vise and a 2# hammer and 1.5 socket oh yeah and spline socket on the trail with me but I'm lucky to have my knife most of the time. Thank God I did them in my nice heated shop.

Lol i prefer to do them in my shop but. If i break anything goes. My rear bumper has perfect groove to pound out u joints lol. I dont let a vroken u joint wreck my trip. We changed a clutch on the last trip. Took 2 hours but we finished the journey lol. We go pretty prepared though. Most of the guys know what they always break so we pretty much have spare everything. Hope all is well

Drove all day no noise well u know wind and tires but if that bothered me I would not have a jeep.

Glad you got it figured out!

Wow 20mins to change a Knuckle U joint on the trail? Wish I was that quick!

One of the nice things of having on board air with a good tank. Air tools rock.

Back