door handles

19wrangler89

Yesterday it was nice and warm and after getting stuck in mud/snow/water/ice, I felt the 89' wrangler deserved a bath. So i washed and all is well (except for a piece of my exhaust tubing that got kinked after hitting something?). So this morning i woke up and was terrified to see frost on my deck. I immediately ran out to the Jeep to start it and make sure the ice didn't do anything bad. When i went to pull the door open, the latch spring seemed to pop, the paddle was open but the door went nowhere. So i climbed in the the back hatch(the passenger side had an identical problem)and opened the doors from the inside. The door still doesn't open from the outside! Please help me! :-O [addsig]

Both doors at the same time is rare.

You have two possibilities. Both door handles are broke (Not likely) or the linkage inside the doors came loose or maybe damaged.(Usually loose)

You can remove the inside door panels, it is easy to do, and inside you will see how the door lock system works. There are steel rods with plastic clips on the end that hook the parts together. If they are broken, go to Jeep or a body shop and get some new ones.
I have seen people try to glue or wire them back on, but these clips are about 50 cents each and it's better to do it right the first time. The clips are plactic and with time they just wear out.

Note:
I have had my Jeep in some bone chilling cold without problems (For the Jeep).
Frost is just a decoration. :-O [addsig]

Back