adding power steering to a yj with out power steering

jackobotz

I was wondering if I was correct to assume to get power steering all I have to do is change the steering box and add a power steering pump. I am recovering from broken ribs and that manual steering keeps setting me back.

You will also need a new steering shaft. The shaft comming out of the steering box is larger on the power steering box.

You will also need the pitman arm, power and manual pitman arms are diff. Best thing to do is go to junkyard and get the pitman, steering box, shaft, pump, and hoses, oh, you may want to try and grab the steering box brackets as well (if the yj has brackets for the box. cj,s do) if you can. Would be cheaper than buying new.

As the others have stated, you'll need to remove everything from intermediate shaft down to the draglink. Good news is, everything you need is readily available (weather new or salvaged), bad news; it can be a P.I.T.A. setting up the P/S pump. The major things I would caution you on is the gearbox (either get a reconn’ed or rebuild yourself, this will be the major expense) and check that you have a V-belt or serpentine drive system before searching out your parts (not sure about a 90’?). You may as well purchase a new supply and return hose (also get the $2 in-line/inside hose filter).
FYI, you’ll also need the bracket to mount the pump to the frame rail. Do yourself a favor and invest in an aftermarket design.

Back