TJ hub assembly questions

prariepunk

I can't get hub assemblies to last 2 years on my TJ even if I keep it on the road (I was forced to). I got the $87 Timken (best choice from AutoZone) bearings with the 3 year warranty but I'm sick of having to swap them out every 2 years :-( does anybody have any suggestions?

I have it aligned after installation to (try to) make sure I don't eat my tires... But to no avail, I need new from tires :'(

Not too unusual with oversize tires and rims with less backspacing. Both are a lot of added stress on the bearing assemblies.

Have you Tried a set from a better supplier such as napa, smyth... etc. I kinda feel autozone is not the best place to get mechanical, or electrical parts like bearings, starters, alts,... I will get things like oil, wipers and such there but anymore that's about it. I go to other places to get mechanical or electrical things. They just don't seem to be quality parts

I've got Timken on my TJ. From what the internet tells me it's "Timken or do it again". I've got nothing bad to say about mine so far.

Do you have wheel spacers or adapters?

I can't get hub assemblies to last 2 years on my TJ even if I keep it on the road (I was forced to). I got the $87 Timken (best choice from AutoZone) bearings with the 3 year warranty but I'm sick of having to swap them out every 2 years :-( does anybody have any suggestions?

Yikes... Worn steering parts... Wheel spacers, major wheel off set... I don't know, but wow every 2 years.. ???

Timken is highly recommended wheel bearings. Are they preloaded and are you using the correct grease? How are your axel shafts? They straight and not all cut or blurred?

First off have a good axle shop check to see if your front axle is bent. a bent axle puts a lot of loading on the bearing pack. Also once you get the whole thing apart take a good look at the steering knuckle, a bent knuckle that has oblonged the bearing seat diameter will kill it within two years alone. After that...?

Tried to do my hubs today & couldn't get the axle nut loose to save my life :-(

I took mine off yesterday. I put a bar in between the axle ujoint then used a big breaker bar.

Attachments

• image-3935130343.jpg
    image-3935130343.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 182

I put the biggest screwdriver I had in there & bent it pretty good :-( I borrowed an electric impact gun from a co worker... something is gonna happen

I broke mine loose before taking the wheels off while it was still on the ground.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Jeepz

Ohio weather is nuts lately, good (45°) monday & tuesday. A blizzard wednesday & 50° on friday. It's making a unnerving vibration when I'm on the gas now :-( I'm not sure what I did. Lug nuts are tight & so are the other bolts. I'm tearing into it again tomorrow to get that hub replaced & I'm gonna pick up that XJ knuckle soon too

Back