Flushing the heater core

southtj

I think I need to flush my heater core as I'm not getting a lot of heat from the vents. It's warm but just not hot. I can put the selector on defrost/floor and put the fan on high and never get warm enough. I can put it on floor only and it's better but still not hot like I know TJ heaters can be. I lived with it through the winter but now that it is nicer weather, I'm ready to work on it.

I guess my question is, when doing a flush does it flush the radiator and heater core at the same time or do I target the heater core specifically? I've never done this before so not sure of the mechanics of a flush.

If your heater core is blocked, it is easiest to pull the hoses off the thermo housing (send) and pump(return). Drain fluid from the core and then use a garden hose with a small spray fitting that fits inside the tube. And use the garden hose water pressure in both directions to unplug and flush. This will avoid the contaminants from blocking the radiator.

From there I would hook it back up and do a good dump, chemical flush and rinse and fill. I use prestone superflush with tap water that is not hard or mineral rich. Otherwise use distilled. Follow the directions then remove the radiator top hose and run fresh hose water in until it runs clean and clear. Empty and refill with coolant and distilled mix. Be sure to use distilled on refill.

Only some Cherokee have a actuated valve on the heater that regulates flow to the heater core all others have the loop constantly flowing.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Back