CJ heater motor upgrade... Finally got around to doing it...

chinard

Okay, So i've been putting this one off for a while now due to various excuses, but now its completely done and works great.

Definitely a messy install, as i had to drain about 1/4 coolant to remove the heater core. Forunately i had lots of empty containers to store the runoff coolant into. (gotta be careful with that shit... there are alot of cats in the building)

Anyways, Its truly amazing how interchangable these parts are. I mean, here i am with a heater motor from a '73 blazer, and its a perfect fit for an '82 jeep (along with some firewall cutting)

Took the better part of the day, but now i got it blowing lots of hot, hot, hot air. Hell, i might be wearing a t-shirt come this feburary... :D

On the subject of FURTHER modifications, I'd like to ask around if anybody has any suggestions on replacements or modifications.

First is Vent vs Recirc. Okay, there is a MAJOR difference in air flow between the two. I'd like to run it on recirc during the really cold months. Anybody know of a way to "cut out" or "open things up" so that the recirculated air flows as well as vented air?

Second... Replacement dashboard knobs. Man, i've done everything short of SUPERGLUING these knobs in place, but they gots a mind of their own.

I'd LOOOOVE to replace the old 3 position switch for the fan speed with something a little more... solid. (using standard parts i can pick up from any hardware store, auto parts store, or even radio shack)

Third.. I'm running a rather high amperage alternator (150amp) and i've noticed a significant voltage dip when i run the new heater motor.
Hasn't caused a problem as of yet, but i can immagine later on when i need to run my fog lights/flood lights along with the new heater motor in the colder months.
Now i'm pretty sure that the old cj's have no form of voltage regulator that i've seen mentioned anywhere. Anybody have any thoughts on a voltage regulator project for old cj's?

Anyways... I'm just glad i got all this done before the weather starts turning to shit.
The only two things left on my list before winter hits is a new frame for my hard top rear window, and a nice thick coat of POR15 for the underbelly! :)

Back