new yj heat mod

Is that you that posted that write up? Thats a great idea! I never knew that the heater was using outside air... it all makes sense now. Are there any pictures to go along with the write up? They would help alot. Well thats another thing to add to the list of "things to do to the jeep".

Yeah it was me. I was just fidlin with stuff yesterday and did it not thinking to take pics. But i think I'll take it apart within the next week or so and whip out the cell cam so keep checking and thanks for the input.

it IS a good way to get good heat... but... fresh air is a good thing to have when operating a vehicle

My ol Cj7 is so drafty that you will never need worrie about fresh air. But the dawg gone heat works so good the drafts are seriously over powered! tug

That's a good idea, but... I have heard of this before, probably on this board, and it was criticized for potentially being a carbon monoxide hazard since you eliminate the fresh air. I don't know if that is a valid criticism since Jeeps tend to be pretty drafty anyway, but that's not something I really want to gamble with. Be careful if you have any exhaust leaks.

Once it is at full operating temp, my YJ's heat will run me out of ther if I leave it on full blast. How hot does your motor run? I have a 180 deg. thermostat. Just curious..

I rum at 180 to 190 water temp but have an ait flow temp gauge set up and the air out of the ducts is 145 degees. Plenty warm enough. tug

Wheels

I know that some cars do have this option from the factory. My dads BMW for instance, you can choose either outside air, or re-heat inside air. Perhaps the Wrangler is a different story.

Long start???

I may be wrong here but it sounds to me like he's still getting outside air but just redirecting the air past the vent at the feet. I have a buddy who put a scoop cowl at the base of the windshield which allowed more air to flow down to the heater core. I'll see if I can get a part # from him. If you do this you have to make sure the drain is not plugged.

I don't see a problem with modifying the heat to recirculate and blocking off the fresh-air intake.
  • 1) Jeeps are notoriously drafty, if enough carbon monoxide gets into the jeep while driving to actually affect you, it was your time :wink:.
    2) This lack of fresh air would be the same as having the HVAC in the off position.
    3) Many of todays autos do have a recirculate option on the HVAC which does the same thing as this mod.

The fresh air does have a use when using a soft top, it's designed to pressurize the interior and balloon the soft top over the driver, reducing flap and wind buffetting.

warn winch

Yeah what BH said.

No I realize that the drivers side flap wasn't adjusted correctly but even when it was I got air from outside on my feet.

On another note. How many people have you known to die from driving a vehicle and getting Carbon Dioxide poisoning? I know there is a bunch of suicides in there garages but driving down the road? Don't take it as a harsh reply Inspector, I really want to know.

Transmission/Gear ?'s Plus exhaust

Thanks for the table, I had never heard of CO poisoning in a moving vehicle before. What we don't know is how many of those deaths are attributed to people riding in a vehicle improperly, ie. trunks, box trucks, etc. Take illegal aliens for instance. It'd be totally reasonable to have that number of deaths related to CO in moving vehicles come entirely from illegal immigrants. Just a far out hypethetical.

If you do such a mod always be aware of potential dangers, it's good to bring them to light here.

Correction to my earlier post. I put a 195 deg. thermostat in my Jeep the spring after I bought it (because I froze my @$$ off the first winter, I think the old one was stuck open). I don't know why I thought it was 180, that's probably what was in there originally. Anyhow my fresh air heat will toast ya and I never even came close to overheating in the Summer - at least I didn't, and hope my electric fan doesn't change that. Oh, and no ice on the wipers, either!!!

Heat may be a thermostat away???

I am currently missing a back window so my heater doesn't do much but warm up my toes. Back when I did have a back window it was plenty of heat for me.

Tow Ratins

i'm pretty tolerable to many things... so even if it is not blasting like a furnace on me... i don't mind, just can't be a baby about it... even in -20 weather... if i let it warm up for 15 minutes, it is quite nice in there... if your heat is not doing too well.. try a new thermo, it DOES help

Back