rock slider angst

indiemo

so I installed a set of warn rock sliders a little over 3 months ago, haven't even got a chance to get them on the trail yet, and the powercoat is already starting to peel off of them! it doesn't even look like the steel underneath was primed as the bare spots are starting to rust. I'm pretty ripped over the whole and was hoping I'd get a better quality product from warn. has anyone had similar experience with these? any recommendations on fixes?

Take em off, strip them to bare metal, and used some herculiner or some krylon or something. I have come to the conclusion that mass produce powder coating sintks! My rear bumper is the same way! Thats why no on guarenties the powder coat finish!

i have the same problem with my warn sliders. unfortunetly it's true that the powder coating stinks and there's nothing you can do with the salt we get laid down around by us all winter. when i get time i'm going to pull mine sand them and paint them with some rustoleum.

You should send them some digital pictures. The powdercoat is a significant cost of the manufacturing process and is supposed to be a lot tougher than a spray can finish. I would take some digital pics and send thm to Warn's customer service with a complaint.

Canyon wheels off a Jeep wrangler

Totally, you have to let them know that they are putting out inferior product, and give them a chance to make it up to you. I'm sure they will, that company has been in business for a while, successfully, and my guess is the management isn't unreasonable. Just speaking as a retail manager myself. I know I'd take care of you.

Try the 'heavy rust' rustoleum primer and then a textured rustoleum topcoat. Then it'll resist rust spreading after you scrape the paint off on the rocks.

that then, is BS. If you haven't directly damaged it, it should be Warrantied. Thanks for the Heads up. But you should still call them up and try to negotiate something. Maybe send them a link to this thread. :wink:

well, I just got off the phone with a customer rep at warn. he was pretty friendly and seems willing to help. he said because of the nature of the part the powdercoating isn't usually covered by warranty, but he gave me his email address and asked me to send him some digital pics of where it's coming off. so I guess we'll see where it goes. I'll keep y'all updated on what develops.

If you're planning on using the rock sliders for what they're designed for then I wouldn't even bother with getting them replaced or repaired. You're most likely going to scratch it all off anyways. The problem with powdercoating is that it doesn't scratch like regular paint, it chips and peels off and there is no primer used in powdercoating. I would just pull em off, sand blast em down and paint them with a good rust protective paint that you can simply touch up whenever you scratch them on the rocks.

that's a good call craig. why go through the hassle of taking them off, dealing with the warranty dept at warn, shipping them back, waiting for the replacements, remounting them, and then just scratching them all to hell anyway out on the trail. i hadn't thought of it that way. and even if they replace them with new ones, the powdercoat is most likely just going to peel off again anyway. guess I gotta find someone to sandblast them for me. any good heavy duty paint recommendations?

This is one of the reasons I am all about build it yourself items when ever posible. You pay big bucks for inferior product mush of the time. Name Brand means notheing, Still them ideas from the big boys and put a local small shop guy to work for less money and you are able to a better product inthe end. Tug

Bye Bye YJ .... Hello TJ

indiemo said:
that's a good call craig. why go through the hassle of taking them off, dealing with the warranty dept at warn, shipping them back, waiting for the replacements, remounting them, and then just scratching them all to hell anyway out on the trail. i hadn't thought of it that way. and even if they replace them with new ones, the powdercoat is most likely just going to peel off again anyway. guess I gotta find someone to sandblast them for me. any good heavy duty paint recommendations?

BUT, you may be compensated for keeping them as well. It may be more profitable for them to just offer for you to keep them (with perhaps a discount), and not bother with return shipping or anything like that. Maybe merchandise credit toward future purchase, the options are limitless. Just be polite (and of course you are), and they customer reps will work hard for you and go the extra mile. They are less willing to help a troublesome customer.

How does 20% off a warn winch sound?

Head Gasket 00XJ@56K

my rails from rocky-road outfitters did the same exact thing... in only about 2 months. what a crappy powdercoating. obviously some people know how to powdercoat right though: my ARB bull bar doesn't have a single chip or rust spot on it, and its been on the vehicle for over a year and a half. i'm going to try and sand my rails down while they're still on the vehicle and put some herculiner on them. shouldn't be too hard... but hopefully i can get the paint off and won't have to get them sandblasted.

The most protective & durable paint I have used is POR-15. This stuff is incredibly tuff. I use it on my construction trailers as we are pretty hard on them. I've also painted a dunebuggy chassis with it as it's the only thing I've found that would hold up to the abrasion of the sand being tossed at it from the paddles etc.

Back