I've decided to pull the plug...

My poor abused '91 YJ has taken it's final hill. It seems like yesterday when I hopped in it for the first time and took her for a trek through the woods. I'll never forget how expensive the shattered windshield was. But still, we had a hell of time.
Then there was the big camping adventure of '97. It wasn't 20 min. into the trail when the clutch gave out. Boy, that was expensive too. That's O.K. I just piled in someone else's jeep and we had a ball.
Come to think of it, the next several years brought 'many a high dollar repair' to me. Driveshaft sheering off, leaf springs breaking, another window(my fault), ... But man, the fun we had!
Two weeks ago, while driving to Taco Bell of all places, the transmission went "pop clunk" then "bang bang bang" the rest of the way home.On top of that , while diagnosing the problem in the garage, I pulled the dip stick(for some reason) and found a milky brown sludge had replaced were my oil used to be.HMMM...$$$
I'm finally giving into reason(Actually my wife :evil: ),so in three days I'm giving her up(the YJ not the wife). It's been a blast but I just cant dump any more cash into it.
What are the opnions on the newer Jeeps out there?? I never really considered getting a new one until recently. Actually, I've always half heartedly dogged TJ owners, stating that YJ's were superior but that was more for fun than anything else.
So, until I return again with a new rig I'll bid you all farewell and happy trails.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
ex YJ owner

Hope you don't give up on Jeep entirely - evidently you've experienced the "experience". Sure, you sank a lot of money in it, but I've had many vehicles, all makes and models, some good, some bad ($$$), you sort-of take a chance - such is life. I bought an '03 TJ and couldn't be happier. Wife has a '94 YJ and I love drivin' "L'il Red", too. Neither have cost us much money (yet). They're basically stock vehicles (31's on both, winch on mine, few other minor mods) which we drive every day, everywhere we go, be it a paved road, gravel, or something other people would consider a "cow path". We climb mountains and drive interstates and never think twice about either one ('tho I'm REALLY gettin' tired of the interstates). Just somethin' to think about.........

By the way, did the wife go with you on the trails???

Thats how it goes.... The TJ's are nice, much more car like(gotta love that a/c). Or you could go old school with a CJ. To each his own.

up-on-th-rackagain said:
Actually, I've always half heartedly dogged TJ owners, stating that YJ's were superior but that was more for fun than anything else.

There's a good arguement for each of the short wheelbase Jeeps being the best. I'll stick to YJ's, but if I were to get one to be a daily driver/weekend warrior I'd have to consider a TJ.

That's why I bought my Cherokee, so I didn't have to worry 'bout a YJ being a daily driver - but at that time I was commuting over 100 miles a day.

Maybe you could get something for a daily driver and start looking for a engine/transmission donor??? - I know, I just hate to see a Jeep (any Jeep) get put out to pasture :(

Hey, now, just because you're getting rid of your 4-wheeled child doesn't mean you have to stop coming to the forums here. Once a Jeeper, always a Jeeper! Stick around, because you never know when someone (like me) has a question that only you have the answer to. Good luck with getting a new ride!

Are you planning a memorial service for the Jeep's passing? I'll be waiting by the email box for an announcement.

It is Hip to be square dude! No matter what Jeep you buy it will always cost more than it will ever be worth! Buy a new Rubicon and it will be no time till you are moding the beast to make even mo better just the fact of owning a Jeep. Always looking to improve on the best! tug

Back