Drum brake shoe wear

LauraBoston

I need to know why my shoes, on both sides, are wearing in the middle. It's not both shoes, it's just one on both sides, the shoe in the back.

My instructor won't tell me as of yet, he said I should ask around and see what other people think. I'v determined it's not the springs or wheel cylinder, he said it's not either of them.

Just throw some ideas at me.

Are you flat-footed or pigeon-toed? Maybe you are dragging your feet as you walk because of some underlying back problems. :lol:

totally guessing here.......

Maybe the adjustment isn't right and since they are the secondary shoes they are taking the most load. As for the wear pattern, is the drum bellshaped? What kind of runout does it have across the face of the drum? Has it ever been overheated?

Hi-Ya Laura,

Long time no see!!!! :D

Your brake shoe wear pattern is entirely normal.

Here is why:

Passenger car drum brakes since at least the early 1950s have been of the "self-servo" persuasion. In the "self-servo" design, when the brakes are applied, the leading (forward) brake shoe moves into contact with the rotating brake drum. The entire brake shoe assembly (both shoes and misc. hardware) then pivots rearward from the top and "wedge" the trailing (rear) rear brake shoe into the rotating brake drum.

Have you noticed that the brake shoes and connecting hardware are not solidly attached at the bottom of the backing plate? That is a deliberate design feature. It allows the entire brake shoe assembly the limited amount of play required to pivot.

The idea underlying the "self-servo" design is that the "wedging" (not to be confused with a "wedgie" :twisted: ) action multiplies the braking force applied by the driver and makes for lower brake pedal pressures required to stop a moving vehicle. That became an important ergonomic design consideration as the cars of the early fifties went on steroids and became larger and larger and heavier and heavier and faster and faster - increasing brake system loading.

Keep in mind that vacuum-assisted power brakes were not available or available only as a high-cost option on many cars of the period.

It is inherent to the "self-servo' design that the trailing brake shoe actually provides most of the stopping power. Hence, the trailing brake shoe will wear faster than the leading brake shoe, and that is also why there is more brake pad material on the trailing shoe? (A way to tell them apart.)

(A related aside: the self-servo design is also why your brakes seem to not work as well when the vehicle is moving backward. It seems that way because it is true.)

Entirely unrelated, but it seems a good time to remind everyone that white eggs come from white feathered chickens and brown eggs come from brown or red feathered chickens. :wink:

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Gadget

PS: Related to the above is a process called "arcing" brake shoes. In brake specialty shops, you will usually find a machine that is used to "arc" new brake shoes. Brake shoes need to be arced after a brake drum is turned on a lathe. The inner diameter of the drum changes, becoing larger, after lathing. Hence, the brake shoes need to be arced to match the new diameter of the drum to provide optimal frictional contact. Failing to arc new brake shoes to match a turned brake drum is why a brake shoe will initially wear faster in the middle of the shoe then at the ends of the same shoe.

Here is an illustration to perhaps better explain why new brake shoes should be arced to match a turned brake drum. NB: I have greatly exaggerated the effect for the purpose of illustration.

bv505-3.jpg

Shade tree mechanics ignore the arcing process, but for a "pro" brake job, arcing really should be done.

Shade tree mechanics ignore the arcing process, but for a "pro" brake job, arcing really should be done.

Well......I'm shadetree all the way, and further proof is that I had never heard of arcing the shoes before your post Gadget. You learn something new every day!

I(a certified dumb*ss) thought she meant they were wearing in the middle the other way, like the shoes were rocking from side to side in the drums.....but that doesn't even make sense because then they would be worn on the edges :roll:

Hi-Ya Junkpile,

I too learned something today.

After posting earlier in the day, I got to thinking about and questioning what I had written. So, I called a friend who is in the auto repair business.

To keep this post short, I was informed that it would be rare today to find a brake shoe arcing machine in a brake shop. Even rarer would be to find someone in the shop that knew how to use that machine.

Evidently, the practice of arcing brake shoes was discontinued some years ago for health-safety reasons. (Nobody tells me anything around here!) The brake shoe arching machine ground off brake pad material with a spinning abrasive drum. As one might imagine, the process generated a lot of dust. Unfortunately, that dust is hazardous to one's health.

So, while what I posted above why a brake shoe might wear in the center faster than at the ends is still valid theory, what I wrote about arcing brake shoes is obsolete or superseded knowledge. Take that part as an unsolicited history lesson.

BTW, my remark about shade tree mechanics was not intended in any way to be derogatory. I am, after all, one of them!

Well, sorta - I don't have a tree available for that purpose, but I do work in the shade of my garage.

Close enough.

Regards,

Gadget

Gadget,

Thanks for the info. I took it to my instructory, he said "Good theory, but not my problem." I thought, hmmm...ok then. Back to the drawing board.

My drums are round all the way around, actually only have worn .010" (I measured them today).

I am still stumped as to why they are wearing in the middle of the shoe. (trailing shoes) :evil:

OH, and I hate when teachers drag things out for weeks!!!!!!! JUST TELL ME ALREADY!!!

Inspector-Gadget,
Entirely unrelated, but it seems a good time to remind everyone that white eggs come from white feathered chickens and brown eggs come from brown or red feathered chickens. Wink

LOL :lol:. Everybody knows that Gadget. Ever since that monk guy Mendel got those laws passed way back in the 1700s or so, right?

Laura,

Wow! :shock:

If what I wrote above is not your brake problem, then I am stumped.

A few other long-shot possibilities that I assumed were examined and eliminated: the initial mechanical adjustment made with a brake spoon. (Shoes dragging even when brakes are not applied.) Incorrect adjustment of the parking brake (Shoes always dragging). Weakened brake shoe return springs. Something wrong in the hydraulic system that prevents full brake retraction. Anything in the braking system that prevents full retraction of the rear brake shoes when the brake pedal is not depressed.

Laura, does your school/class provide access to official D-C "Service Bulletins" for your Jeep? If you have access to the "SBs," they might be worth searching.

So many possibilities -- In any case, when you solve the problem, please post the solution here. Inquiring Jeep minds want to know!

south442 wrote:

everybody knows that Gadget. Ever since that monk guy Mendel got those laws passed way back in the 1700s or so, right?

You got it southie!!! :lol:

I like to keep the mood light by sprinkling a smile or two into my posts. :wink:

Regards,

Gadget

OK, so I found out today what the problem was. And Gadget, you were right. It is TOTALLY normal. It's an oversized drum - too much wear.

To me it makes no sence because like I said, I measured them and they only wore .010"

Another funny thing is the Jeep has 30000 miles on it, and my shoes are pretty much gone. The heavy wheeling has put a damper on my braking system.

Back