Offroad Light Placement Question?

Tug-n-pull

If you were to install only two good quality offroad lights where do you feel they would best be mounted. High Over windshield, Midship at the windshield hing on a after market mount, Low at the Front of the grill on brush gaurd, or bumper, set wide, set close. Looking for the best offroad bang for the buck for After Dark light not looks. Thanks Tug

[addsig]

for rock crawling or driving down a dirt path?

depends on the shape and size of the lights..[addsig]

General Trail Rideing on the dirt path in the woods lots of up and down the hill type stuff 6" round KC's[addsig]

on the bumper, far apart.. stop on an open trail and aim the lights to cover areas not lite up with your hi-beams.[addsig]

I can tell ya from experience that how you mount lights above the windshield will affect how they work for or against you. I mounted 4 KC style 150w off-road lamps to a "light bar" and when I fired them up, I couldn't see out the windshield! Every little spec of dust, moisture, bug etc.. on the glass just became illuminated! It was like looking through fog. The light bar placed the front of each lamp just about equal with the windshields plane. This caused the light escaping downward out of the lamp to light up everything on the glass!. I didn't have the shields to mount under the lamps at the time. (looked really bad anyhow)

Placing the lamps at the "hinge" level won't be bad, unless you encounter fog. Although, on really damp nights (like really cold clear nights) the lights will illuminate the moisture in the air and it could look like fog. like driving in fog with the high's on)

Placing the lamps below the head lights in my experience, is the best overall location. the lights are then low enough to not bother your eyes, (no reflections off the hood)can still illuminate the road/trail far out ahead of you.

I have 2 "flame Thrower" 150w off-road lights mounted to my fenders now, (the sealed bulbs are shot though) The height of the lamps, they sit just a little above the headlamps. There, they seem to work ok.

Good luck with your selection.

[addsig]

First 2 on the bumper.

Second 2, I'd buy a set of flexible base lights and mount them on brackets coming of the side of the windsheild. Great for putting light right where you want it and being able to adjust it without exiting the vehicle...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

PUT THEM EVERYWHERE!!! lol.........I have 4 on a light bar......2 on the front bumper (spread out)....and 2 on the fender flares. offroad they are great.....put in a few switches so you can toggle on and off which ones you want.......you can get different types of lights too (fog lights, pencil beams, etc.)....some ppl think it's overkill to get lots of lights.......just depends.......I like to have opions plus I like the way it looks.[addsig]

some people like to look of it, however too many lights and you'll have to get a bigger battery, and a bigger alternator to power them all properly.[addsig]

Thanks for all the input now I just need to mount the lights. I will place them on the front bumper due to the glare thing. I am also mounting one on the back so I can really see what I might run over in the dark. I really think it is great to be able to ask for and get real and honest answers. I hope from time to time to be able to give something good as well. Tug[addsig]

ok, listen up EVERYBODY...

HOW CAN YOU GUYS TELL HIM TO MOUNT LOW....

if you go off road you're bumper goes in and out of mud,if you mount them there they won't work because you have to clean them all the time.

even my normal lights keep getting dirty.

however i must admit that mounting on a lightbar is not perfect(i have 4 rounds on a lightbar=perfect clean light,but you're window and hood is also lighted)i think it's the best!!!

if you have only 2 lights put them on the sides of the window where the mirrors

are mounted,that way you can turn them and light the side of your 4x4 if needed..

best of luck 'n keep 'm dirty....

(i'm not broke,i own a jeep.)[addsig]

Back