Forest Service Vs. Offroad Vehicles

Oh yeah..

Let me quote from that article..

"An environmental analysis would be required on each site to determine potential environmental effects."

Now let 90Xjay translate that:

"We will be giving about 3 million tax dollars to some over-educated jack-ass to tell us where and where not to go off roading"

I hate bureaucrats!

A news release from the blue ribbon coalition on that article

> BLUERIBBON COALITION NEWS RELEASE
> 4555 Burley Drive, suite A
> Pocatello, ID 83202
>
> Contact: Clark L. Collins, Founder/Executive Director (208)237-1008 xt.
> 101
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> KEY RECREATION ORGANIZATION SUPPORTS OHV RULE
>
> November 2, 2005 (POCATELLO, IDAHO) - The BlueRibbon Coalition is
> supportive of the new Forest Service's final "Off-road-vehicle
> Management Rule"
> announced today in Washington D.C. by USFS Chief Dale Bosworth. The
> Rule
> will restrict off road motor vehicles to designated routes and areas
> agency wide.
> "I pledged our cooperation to Chief Bosworth when he told me about his
> intentions before he even publicly announced his plans on this issue,"
> said BlueRibbon Coalition Founder and Executive Director Clark Collins.
> "I told Bosworth, at that time, that the key to making this work is
> involving local recreation users in the decision making process at the
> local level. It looks like he agrees with that view," Collins
> continued.
> A key component of this new rule is that the agency can still designate
> "open" areas where appropriate. "Some areas are appropriate for an
> 'open'
> designation and we are glad that provision is still in the Rule," says
> Collins.
> "Some forests have ignored off-highway-vehicle management in the past
> and that is where we have the most problems," says Collins. "This rule
> says that OHVs are an important - growing - use of our public lands and
> should be managed to provide quality recreation opportunities while
> protecting the resources."
> "OHV users 'put their money where there mouth is,' supporting state and
> federal programs that provide funding for recreation management on
> public lands," Collins concluded. "We are committed to assisting our
> land managers financially, through the funding programs that we
> support,
> and will work cooperatively with the Forest Service to ensure this Rule
> is implemented in a way that benefits a broad range of recreation
> interests."
>
> ###
> Additional information on this release and/or other BlueRibbon media
> releases are available on our website at
> http://www.sharetrails.org/MediaReleases/index.cfm
>
> The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions
> responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual
> environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members
> and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of
> over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742.
> www.sharetrails.org
>
>

i think its good that theyre cracking down on keeping on designated trails but thats all they really need to do, enforce the designated trails better

First I like to say I am very happy to see us as a on-line group start to become interested in the political side of off-roading.
We as a owners group have alot of political clout to help or harm these issues.
I spend alot of my free time working with Utah off-road alliance ,Blue ribbon coalition and United Four Wheel Drive Associations. Since Utah (my home) is considered the 33% state since 66% of Utah is either state or federal lands including the areas surrounding Moab we as an off-road community have to fight to keep every trail we have open. So we here are already use to this, if we don't voice our opinion we would have lost access to 90% of the trails around Moab just this year, as it sits we have lost two trail one being the famous Lower ****derodo.

But many of you are reading this for the first time and I hope this encourages you to join the fight. Our opponents are a powerful lobbying organization with large financial backing. Groups like the Serria club, Southern Utah Wilderness Ass. Earth first and others WILL close your favorite trails if you sit on the side lines and do nothing.
So am I encouraging you to get involved. It can be as little as joining one of these organizations or simply making a small cash donation. But I hope you will do more by getting your local clubs and friends interested in these issues and voicing their opinions as well.

Without you we will loose miles of trails every year till we have nothing except your local alley as the only place you can lock in your 4x4.

P.S. I encourage you to visit these sites and read what they are fighting for, being informed is half the battle

I don't understand the big deal. Not that I don't care about the environment, I do. But this land has been here LOOONG before any of us were and it will be here LOOONG after we are all gone. There's not much you can do to hurt it by driving your 4x4 on a designated trail. It's absurd and reflects the true agenda of these groups and that is to be able to restrict other peoples' freedom by denying them the right to use the land they paid for with their tax dollars.

P.S. I encourage you to visit these sites and read what they are fighting for, being informed is half the battle[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the message of the day on an episode of He-Man?

That was the lesson of the day on every episode of GI Joe.

"And now you know, and knowing is half the battle".

This FS order likely won't change anything in our local NF, they've already got strict orders on motorized vehicle use and seasonal restrictions.

The problem is people starting rogue trails, enough traffic and it appears to be a legal trail and then everyone starts using it. Especially out here in the west, with the lack of vegetation all it takes is two or three passes with a vehicle to make it look like an established trail for a long time.

Then there is the trash issue, I cannot believe how much crap people leave behind on the trail. One of the trails I run a lot is cleaned by our club twice a year and by other clubs periodically as well. I usually only go about 10 miles in before turning around, in that time I nearly always fill up two trash bags of crap.

The greenies are out to close public lands to public use and there are enough morons out there screwing things up that I'm sure they'll eventually succeed.

If it were up to the environmentalists noone would be able to leave roads, **** they would probably wanna take our Jeeps :mad:

I was part of a forest thinning project to reduce the wildfire risk around the urban interfaces by removing trees killed by drought or bark beetle. We had a hippie walk through the site one day, she informed us how we were killing the earth and how trees could feel pain, then she gave us her paper PETA business card and walked away in her leather timberlands.

It made me want to club a seal with a bat made from the heart of a Sequoia.

They're all a bunch of hypocrites, complain about roads yet use them to get where they're going, complain about fur but wear leather, complain about logging while sitting in their wooden rocking chairs, complain about capitalism until they have a book, cd, or t-shirt to sell.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article where the director of the Center for Biological Diversity called a rancher litigious, made me laugh.

OutOfStep said:
It made me want to club a seal with a bat made from the heart of a Sequoia.

Right on...oh btw, I hope that was a "baby" seal

mmmmmmmm seal burgers....

are we getting off track ?

I do believe we are here. It shouldn't be about this person or that, nor is it the government has already closed all the trails and we are stuck with just a few that are left. It is about getting active in your community and informing your local politicians that you are there and are willing to fight for those trails that are left. And that your group is willing to take an active role in keeping those trails open.
If you do nothing, your off-road group does nothing, then you don't have a voice and the eco-terrorists have already won.

Out of step I applaud you and your group...going out twice a year collecting trash is a step forward. As a former Arizona resident and off-roader I know what happens when off-roaders cut a new trail there, it takes hundreds of years for the desert to regrow, just look at South Mountain park and you can still see the trails left there over twenty years ago when they closed it to off-road vehicles.

The same thing happens here in the Utah desert every new illegal trail or braid is another coffin nail in our clause.
Our group has adopted a trail and we open this trail every year and close it down working in conjunction with the local National Forrest Service. It seems that every year we re-block braids and add fences to keep idiots on the designated trail only.
Our group also works with the Red Rock four wheelers and the U.S. Department of the Interior weeks before EJS marking trails and building fences on the more popular trails in Moab just to keep everyone on the right trail. If we do not the eco's will win out in the end.
This is something I think every group should do, GET involved!
When we do this type of trail work we inform the media,local politicians, shout it out on the street corners if we have to, or simply write letters, we do what we have too. But we are doing something...
The big question here is...what are you doing?
If nothing more...send a few bucks to the Blue Ribbon Coalition or United 4 wheelers...what the hey its tax deductible.

Now I know I sound like a raving lunatic here but I am an activist for the OHV community. And I get so frustrated when I see the defeatist attitude.
We have a great system here in America, our elected officials will listen when you take the time when you speak to them.
If you don't take the time to say anything...I know who's only voice they will hear.
Do you want those groups talking for you?​

Back