Upgrading TJ Stereo

Retriever

Would like to upgrade the sound in my 2000 TJ. What do you guys think............

Currently has a Dual receiver and stock speakers. The main issue is volume with the top off.

I am on a budget and therefore need to find the least expensive fix and one that I can build on in the future.

Here is what I am thinking. First step, upgrade the four speakers. Get a feel for the difference and move on from there.

I am looking at two options on speakers. First, Memphis Audio 6.5 in the sound bar and 4 x 6 in the dash, $315 installed. Or Infiniti in the same config, 275.

Which brand is best????

Thanks in advance guys, this if my first go at this.

Take care.

I prefer mephis... they both sound great but i have an all memphis set-up including 2 10's behind my back seat... either way u lose a little with the top off

Get ya a set of Sound Wedges and some Pioneer Triax speakers like I did, then toss $60 at WalMart for a 200 watt amp to push them. Whole package less than $200 and installed by me. I don't hear any road noise, top on or off, and despite the El Cheapo amp, I have very clear, clean sound that gives me a headache before I reach max volume.

If you want 4 speakers, go with either the pods that go in the kick panels, or on the transmission hump. I've never had anything that worked as well as Pioneer, and have spent about twice as much for other brands that didn't perform as well. Personal preference from experience.

Thanks for the input thus far.

I would think the speakers in the sound bar would be a breeze to install. How difficult is it to install the 4x6 in the dash?

Thanks.

4x6 in the dash is easy on the TJ... might have to get/make some sort of adapter bracket, my cheapo pioneers from walmart are just kinda sitting in there cuz Im to lazy too and they wont fit factory screw holes. But they really arent hard to get to.

I must ask one question here....
Why throw in 4x6 noise makers when you can throw in a set of 5 1/4 speakers that rock?

Wont fit!?!
Well your going to be glad I just happen to come along and read this post...

Ok I am sorry I went to the car dealer today and got caught up in the used car salesmen pitch...lol

But the point is I haven't found a set of 4x6's that can beat a crappy set of 5 1/4's.
All you need is a thin adapter plate sold by 33 engineering (look here ). I have some 5 1/4 Bose marine speakers in the front and they rock!
I didn't use batting behind the speaker like the MFG recommends but used two sheets of this aluminum and tar backed paper I got from Best Buy's car audio department. I had to form it around a Tupperware bowl and cut some out to form the cone right but they over power the 6 speakers in my sound bar.

5 1/4s in my front dash. I bought those adapters from 33 and it only took about 10 minutes for the install. Huge difference from the 4x6s.

I also installed 6 1/2s in the rear sound bar with a little minor modification.

I highly recommend the bigger speakers. I tried some Boston Acoustics in the stock sizes with my Alpine head unit and amps and it sounded terrible. So I moved the rears to the dash and bought some new ones for the rear. Much much better.

dingus said:
Why aren't you installing them yourself???

Second that dude. If you order the speakers from Crutchfields they give you the adapters for free for the front 4x6s. If you know how to operate a screw driver you can do this install. On the front, remove the two screws that hold the cover on. Remove the 4 screws that hold the speakers in, pull the wire connectors off the old speaker. Install new speakers to adapter plate with 4 screws provide, attatch the two wire connectors to speaker, install adapter plate to dash with the 4 screws you took out. Put the cover back on.

The rears are even easier if you're sticking with the stock size. 4 screws and two wires.

You can do it and we are here to help you if needed and you will save some green.

south442 said:
Second that dude. If you order the speakers from Crutchfields they give you the adapters for free for the front 4x6s. If you know how to operate a screw driver you can do this install. On the front, remove the two screws that hold the cover on. Remove the 4 screws that hold the speakers in, pull the wire connectors off the old speaker. Install new speakers to adapter plate with 4 screws provide, attatch the two wire connectors to speaker, install adapter plate to dash with the 4 screws you took out. Put the cover back on.

The rears are even easier if you're sticking with the stock size. 4 screws and two wires.

You can do it and we are here to help you if needed and you will save some green.

Dang, I bet Mingez could even almost do that....well, almost.:lol:

thanks. just finished the install went well. removed the speakers, found that i needed the wiring harnesses and the plates for the front speakers...... a few calls and a few retail stores and picked up the goods and all went smooth from that point.

thanks for th help.

ok so what did you end up getting and how does it sound??? how long did it take you to install everything?

The biggest change you can make to a stock stereo is change the head unit. Most factory head units produce around 5 to 10 watts per channel, after markets(pioneer,panasonic,sony) produce 30 to 50 watts per channel. More watts, more volume, with saying that watch out for factory style paper cone speakers, try to stay with a neopr. or rubber surround with comp. cone for speakers.

dingus said:
ok so what did you end up getting and how does it sound??? how long did it take you to install everything?

went with the sony xplod 4x6 and xplod 5.25. once i tracked everything down that i needed, the 5.25's were a breeze, maybe 20 minutes.

the 4x6's took a touch longer, maybe 40 minutes.

sounds much much better than the stock speakers, only spent $110 including the wiring harnesses and brackets for the front speakers.

Back