Great news!!!

Saurian

So, those of you that know me, or keep track of my writings otherwise may well know that I've been trying, for over three years now, to put my best foot forward and get a job with my City... Solely due to political reasons, I did not get the job three years ago, and have been holding out ever since, until quite recently, when I came very very close to giving up... I stuck through the interview process, unlike three years ago when they hired three people, this year, there was one position available.

Yesterday, I heard the words from the City Manager that darn near gave me a heart attack, which were "I would like to extend this job offer to you."

I have a career! Something that I've been desperately wanting, and a job that I very much enjoy, just to sweeten the deal!

Had to share, I'm walking on clouds right now... But I must make haste, got my physical, x-rays, and drug screening this morning...

:D

Outstanding! Yahoo! Woo-Hoo Sean! We're happy for you! And way to go for not giving up- it's always right before you want to just chuck it all that it happens.

Good for you! Glad to hear your determination got you where you wanted to be.8) So, what is this new job? Inquiring minds want to know.

yeah, give it up!
:purple: :purple: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :)

Goodness, the responses! I've been out celebrating...

Well, though I turn a fair hand on a wrench, cooking up a meal, writing a story, and composing a tune, this job happens to be in the newly minted Streets and Facilities division of the Department of Public Services... This is the fancy new name for the streets and parks division being combined. I'll be cutting grass, and plowing snow, patching potholes, and repairing swingsets, painting benches, and building fences, I'll be doing it all... This is a job that I have held in a seasonal position, in all departments, for the last 4 years during the summer. It is a job that I enjoy, because, not only is it fulfilling and rewarding, but I take pride in my little suburb, and like to see it looking good and running well.

Goodness, the responses! I've been out celebrating...

Well, though I turn a fair hand on a wrench, cooking up a meal, writing a story, and composing a tune, this job happens to be in the newly minted Streets and Facilities division of the Department of Public Services... This is the fancy new name for the streets and parks division being combined. I'll be cutting grass, and plowing snow, patching potholes, and repairing swingsets, painting benches, and building fences, I'll be doing it all... This is a job that I have held in a seasonal position, in all departments, for the last 4 years during the summer. It is a job that I enjoy, because, not only is it fulfilling and rewarding, but I take pride in my little suburb, and like to see it looking good and running well.

Good for you Sean, that's fantastic! And it suits you. :)

Its a wonderful thing to enjoy getting up everyday and wanting to go to work. Congrats on getting a job you really enjoy.

That sounds like a job with good benefits?

Do they have a 401K? I cannot stress enough to you or anyone else out there how beneficial it is to put money every week into a 401K if it is available to you - especially if there is a matching of funds by your employer.
I don't think many of us here on Jeepz will ever see anything worthwhile from Social Security.

Start when you are young (but don't let being "too old" keep you from it), make it a priority, spread the money out, and don't make withdrawls. You can take a loan against it but the interest you pay goes into your account.

It's the best chance most americans have at not being financially screwed when we become seniors.

Sorry for the tangent.

Sounds great Saurian!

That sounds like a job with good benefits?

Do they have a 401K? I cannot stress enough to you or anyone else out there how beneficial it is to put money every week into a 401K if it is available to you - especially if there is a matching of funds by your employer.
I don't think many of us here on Jeepz will ever see anything worthwhile from Social Security.

Start when you are young (but don't let being "too old" keep you from it), make it a priority, spread the money out, and don't make withdrawls. You can take a loan against it but the interest you pay goes into your account.

It's the best chance most americans have at not being financially screwed when we become seniors.

Sorry for the tangent.

Sounds great Saurian!

Yuppers on the 401(k) stuff. Put as much as you can comfortably afford into it. If it weren't for Sunshine and I having done so over the years, we'd be in deep doo right now. We borrowed against ours twice, once when I lost my job a few years ago, and then when she lost hers a year ago. It was enough to keep us afloat till things turned around for us. It's nice to know I can be a burden to a nursing staff at a more expensive nursing home when I get older, rather than at some run-down spit-hole rat's nest nursing home!:lol:

Yuppers on the 401(k) stuff. Put as much as you can comfortably afford into it. If it weren't for Sunshine and I having done so over the years, we'd be in deep doo right now. We borrowed against ours twice, once when I lost my job a few years ago, and then when she lost hers a year ago. It was enough to keep us afloat till things turned around for us. It's nice to know I can be a burden to a nursing staff at a more expensive nursing home when I get older, rather than at some run-down spit-hole rat's nest nursing home!:lol:
Yeah, 5, 10, ar better yet 16% of your income going in today can make a huge impact on who changes your diapers tomorrow :lol:

I know they have something like a 401, the retirement and pension system was recently changed... As well as I understand it, I put in 8%, and the City puts in 7, gets invested and grows... Same with my future health care; instead of the City footing the bill for everything, when I retire, I end up with the monies to take care of it all myself...

We also have the MERS, Municipal Employee Retirement System... Definately something to put money into as well, that's money that cannot be touched, and it grows well... Most Michigan counties, road commissions, county departments, and a good chunk of cities and townships are involved...

I hear you loud and clear on the Social Security thing. That was something that I'd always been worried about, I mean, look around... Besides Social Security probably going bankrupt, Medicare is falling apart, and now, most large companies can't even afford to give a pension anymore, so where does that leave you in 30 years if you haven't taken it upon yourself to save for the future... The stability is also great... While some of the Detroit-area suburbs are hurting for money, to the point of possibly being disincorporated into neighboring municipalities, Madison Heights' tax base is too high, and it's been managed well, so my 'burb isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

I wish I could opt out of social security. I can get alot more out of my money than I'll ever see from big brother.

Congrats bud, percistance pays off (at some point) and it has for you. Well done.

Bacon

Back