Quandry for the "olde schoole" Jeepzers, and all others concerned.

Saurian

Random thought.

This is one that I've been mulling over for quite some time. Things are angry. Things are frustrating. Things are a powder keg that is beginning to burst at the seams, into what, who knows? A revolution? Perhaps merely a collapse into somber despair. What is the root cause? It's a good question. What makes a normally pleasant thing turn rotten? What makes happiness turn to sadness, the food and drink of pleasure turn to ash in the proverbial mouth? I have a theory.

I do not consider myself to be "olde schoole" Jeepz. I don't know how far back one has to go to be so, but I know that this board and site existed well before my joining it. in that magic time aroundabout the wondrous days of yore. Back in the time of milk and honey, when the streets were paved with gold, and housing values tripled overnight, and everyone was driving a new car because they were so cheap, you couldn't afford NOT to. Before the Big Three started laying off en masse. Before Chapter 11 was being filed so commonly by once mighty corporations, it could have it's own segment on the evening news. Before the economy failed and stocks fell and pensions vanished and times got hard. Back before gas cost more than milk, when we could go wheeling every week because back then, gas was so cheap, we couldn't afford NOT to. Back before jobs got scarce, and everything got expensive, and times got hard.

So, the essence of my question is this. All the bickering, all the fighting, all the conflict and the angry writing, all the slammed doors and hurt feelings and people just vanishing from a board that was once checked into every time the computer was on, a simple arguement leaving everything dead and burnt and dying, everybody sick and crying, has that always existed in some small sense, or is this a new thing since times got hard?

I could look back back back in the posts and construct an analysis, but I'd rather hear the insight of those here, and we're all here for a reason, from different walks of life, rich and poor, city and country, conservative and liberal, male and female, square or round, up and down, black and white, left and right, back and forth, you name it, we're all here because of one common reason. That reason can be found in the very name of the site that you typed in to bring you here.
I'm really not trying to stir any pot or anger anyone, just looking for some insight to a question that has been brewing in my head for quite some time now, an explanation for the inexplicable. I implore everyone, pray what are your thoughts on this matter? Cause for whatever reason, and as I mentioned, I have my theory, things are getting tense, and something's gotta give...

Oh yeah, and big respect to Mud4feet and his good lady wife Mudwoman, whose lyrics made their way into my thoughts as I was listening to their CD.

Last edited:

have you been drinking... again?:purple: :purple: :purple:

Hey,
I think everybody who hangs out here knows where the trouble usually started and how it got lowered to personal squabbles
I love this site and I try to respect everyone's feelings even if I don't agree with them. I love Mud man to death even though we have different opinions, I look up to him for his wisdom and good nature.
I think we should just let things settle down and see how they are in a few weeks. Most of us come to the Jeepz for fun and relaxing not to fight and argue.

Mua ha ha haa... No drinking tonight, but on a caffeine bender to beat the band, lot on my mind and a lot of typing going on... LiveJournal has a server just for me, I'll bet ya :D

No, it just seems that there is SO much tension, practically any thread where there might be a difference of opinion is turning into personal attack, and I don't seem to recall it being so in the past...

and I totally agree with your ending idea... I know that's the reason that I come here...

......everything dead and burnt and dying, everybody sick and crying..........

That sounds an awful lot like a quote from "The Box"!!........I guess you were listening to the CD!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean, all I can tell ya' is that you'll go nuts tryin' to figure people out. It all seems to go in cycles (as I believe you were mulling over). Best you can do is be the best person you can be.....treat others the way you want to be treated, pay it forward, and don't take things personally. A friend of mine once told me, "Don't sweat the little s**t.......and it's ALL little s**t". I've found that little statement to ring pretty true, in the big scheme of things.

You're absolutely right that, as different as we all are :)shock: :shock: ), we were all drawn here by a common bond............heck, there's still folks stickin' around who don't even own a Jeep anymore (right, 90?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - JK) but will again someday.....I believe it's in the blood. To take it to the extreme (I believe the whole board will know where I'm comin' from), I believe if Sparky was stranded somewhere, broke a square headlight or something (;) and TC happened by in his newly-purchased-non-DC-Gladiator, he would help him out without a thought...........ok, without a second thought :lol: :lol: . And I believe it would be the same the other way around. It's easy to go off and rant and rave when you're just typing into cyberspace........in the REAL world, the best side of people (like this board) comes to the fore.

Don't fret too much about it.......just stick around and keep throwin' in your 2 cents......................goes for you, too, Mingez!!!!!!

Old, frazzled, tired of BS but know it's gonna keep on comin', hopin' to put out another CD, love my Jeep and my Jeepin' cyber-friends (and HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT and sweaty),
mud

Good thread, Saurian.
Just for the short time I have belonged to Jeepz, I really look forward to logging on and visiting with people around the country with whom we all have the same love of.
It is "just" a machine that takes us where we want to go. Getting there IS half the fun! But our Jeeps are like a member of the family.
I enjoy reading everones post and the interaction that we have. There ARE all walks of life here, like you have said. Politically, socially, and ecconomicly.
To me, that is half the fun. We all very in life but that one machine brings us together. 8)
Mud4feet posted something on a thread once that really made me smile: ..." we all get to rantin' and ravin', but when there's a problem with our Jeeps, all grudges are gone and there's nothing but help forthcoming. Gotta love it!!"
Yes I do Mud!!! :D And here's to ya..:beer:
THIS is what I like about JEEPZ!!!!!

Last edited:
I really like Jeepz. Ever since I stumbled upon it. I like the way that people are polite to each other throughout most of the threads.

I guess that I consider myself to be a contributing “Lurker.” When discussion gets rude or abrasive, I’ll head toward another thread. I just don’t need the hassle of interpersonal confrontations. Life works a lot better if you take it with a grain of salt.

I am a self-taught wrench turner. I may not know the term for the whatchamacallit, but I can get a good understanding of how to install it or get it to work. If I don’t, I ask. There are people about that are willing to assist and offer their opinion. I like that. Sometimes, I can even halp another person that had the same problem that I had. That makes me feel pretty good.

I also like the sense of humor that most of the people on this board have. They have an uncanny ability to turn a serious situation into a laugh riot and sometimes we need that kind of thing.

I have a friend that gets so very serious about the forums that he attends. His opinion needs to be known and agreed with. I’d rather listen to the differing point of view and keep my mind open. I have found that is the way that I learn the most.

There are people on this forum that I would gladly ride any trail with! That does not mean that I want them to move into my house or the house next door. Heck, I don’t generally care if they are politically inclined one way or the other. I do care for their love of a Jeep and where (and how) they can drive it.

Most of the time even tangent threads (such as my half-marathon announcements) are welcomed. You gotta like that about a group of people.

"Familiarity breads contempt", my friend.

It's odd. For as long as I've been around, there's been bickering. However, there's many more threads with Jeep questions and even more answers from our all-knowing brethren.

Times are tought, now, too. In the past, I've had many a thread discussing my heep with RedRooster because of his seemingly limitless knowledge of my motor. He's helped a great deal. But, now-a-days, the cash isn't there for the tinkiering. So, I don't post much, and he doesn't reply to them (on account of them being non-existent).

The metaphor to this being a family has been made many times. But, really, when do families argue the most? When times are tough. 90 and Mingez have had their words and it's a distant memory. TC and Sparky may have had a disagreement or two in the past... but respect is given when it's due. This is an odd little place. Every "family" has it's characters. Sparky will be the first to wave his hand that he's the red-headed step child. Sure he has abrasive words at times, but he's also one of few that will publicly aknowledge when he feels he's crossed a line. Doing that in person is dignity, doing it on an open forum for the world to read is character. How about Mud? Whose family doesn't have the "pillow"? Mud has very strong values and opinions, but in absolutely every instance, he speaks them with grace. There's many of us, too, that show up when they need something... and then disappear for a while. Then there's Utah... pops up, makes a joke, and that's that. Gadget even reminds me of my Grand-pop. So much knowledge and a great dry whit to boot. There's a history to the folk here that really does mimmick a family.

The point, though, is that the bickering has always been there... deep and overwhelming at times, and tongue in cheek at others.

The solice comes in knowing it's just the cycle. Mr. Puffinkins still hates you, Saurian.

-X

PS - I, on the other hand, have been hitting the sauce.

Saurian said:
Random thought.

So, the essence of my question is this. All the bickering, all the fighting, all the conflict and the angry writing, all the slammed doors and hurt feelings and people just vanishing from a board that was once checked into every time the computer was on, a simple arguement leaving everything dead and burnt and dying, everybody sick and crying, has that always existed in some small sense, or is this a new thing since times got hard?

It pretty much all started the day after you logged on for the first time! J/K :purple:

cewtwo said:
I guess that I consider myself to be a contributing “Lurker.” When discussion gets rude or abrasive, I’ll head toward another thread. I just don’t need the hassle of interpersonal confrontations. Life works a lot better if you take it with a grain of salt.
I also like the sense of humor that most of the people on this board have. They have an uncanny ability to turn a serious situation into a laugh riot and sometimes we need that kind of thing.

I have a friend that gets so very serious about the forums that he attends. His opinion needs to be known and agreed with. I’d rather listen to the differing point of view and keep my mind open. I have found that is the way that I learn the most.

I love a good debate. I have rarely found any others as good as the ones here. Even though they have almost always ended in a personal fight between a few people. In the end I love to stimulate peoples minds and maybe get them thinking in ways they wouldn't normally. Society would be a better place if people weren't so one-sided. I have been involved in some more argumentative debates here and I have PM'd people in the past to make sure they knew my intents were not to personally attack them and that I mean no offense. I also think I'm pretty good at letting people know up front that I'm in it for the fun and nothing serious. I would also expect any of you to let me know if I am/have offended you. If I have, I apologize.

Mingez better get his pink Jeep drivin' arse ;) back here! He's the ying to our yang! The Sonny to our Cher! The Surrey to our Jeepz! :D

Last edited:
Saurian said:
Oh yeah, and big respect to Mud4feet and his good lady wife Mudwoman, whose lyrics made their way into my thoughts as I was listening to their CD.

What CD? Did I miss something?

"Familiarity breads contempt", my friend.

It's odd. For as long as I've been around, there's been bickering. However, there's many more threads with Jeep questions and even more answers from our all-knowing brethren.

Times are tought, now, too. In the past, I've had many a thread discussing my heep with RedRooster because of his seemingly limitless knowledge of my motor. He's helped a great deal. But, now-a-days, the cash isn't there for the tinkiering. So, I don't post much, and he doesn't reply to them (on account of them being non-existent).

The metaphor to this being a family has been made many times. But, really, when do families argue the most? When times are tough. 90 and Mingez have had their words and it's a distant memory. TC and Sparky may have had a disagreement or two in the past... but respect is given when it's due. This is an odd little place. Every "family" has it's characters. Sparky will be the first to wave his hand that he's the red-headed step child. Sure he has abrasive words at times, but he's also one of few that will publicly aknowledge when he feels he's crossed a line. Doing that in person is dignity, doing it on an open forum for the world to read is character. How about Mud? Whose family doesn't have the "pillow"? Mud has very strong values and opinions, but in absolutely every instance, he speaks them with grace. There's many of us, too, that show up when they need something... and then disappear for a while. Then there's Utah... pops up, makes a joke, and that's that. Gadget even reminds me of my Grand-pop. So much knowledge and a great dry whit to boot. There's a history to the folk here that really does mimmick a family.

The point, though, is that the bickering has always been there... deep and overwhelming at times, and tongue in cheek at others.

The solice comes in knowing it's just the cycle. Mr. Puffinkins still hates you, Saurian.

-X

PS - I, on the other hand, have been hitting the sauce.

Great post, X! Man, I miss Tug!!

if Sparky was stranded somewhere, broke a square headlight or something (;) and TC happened by... he would help him out without a thought

While this is true, I really want to add something...

I encourage anyone who does not believe me to read through any and all the posts where Sparky and I had debates. When they got ugly it was always a matter of me arguing my points, then his getting frustrated and getting personal. There were times when his personal stuff crossed a line and I responded, but I never initiated that sort of behavior. He has ahad a personal vendetta against me ever since a thread where I made a comment about it being a good thing that he quit being an EMT. Not going into the guts of that discussion, but it sent him off an a tirade that has never stopped although many promises to do so. A few times the guy has gone way off the deep end and even insulted my family.

We used to be able to have discussions that were politically charged or had varying opinion on Jeepz, without a catalyst to destroy it.

In my view, that catalyst is now gone and I am glad. There were times when I could post nothing without his ill responses. It was like he was good sometimes, and a madman other times. Honestly, I hope he stays gone and Jeepz restores it's "personality" that we all fell in love with. I'm not saying that SW wasn't fun to have here at times, but the good isn't worth the bad. You all would not believe some of the things he wrote to me in private messages. He is an artist at being lewd.

So, flame me if you wish, but this is how I feel. I challenge anyone to look through those discussions and see what I am saying about him always being the one to go personal.

Anyhow, after his last post I'd be shocked and disappointed if he didn't get banned. That post is a prime example of how he takes criticism, and how he blames me for all that is wrong in his world.

Two cents for TC

I know that I am a "newbe" to this site but so far what I really like about it is that I can find out good information to take my jeep to the next level.

Families are always going to have riffs and arguments this is part of life but life is to short to take stuff personal, especially on a web site.

The other site I peruse has some good information if you can get through all the cussing, this is why I really like this site, just good, clean fun and great discussions!

God, family, job, good friends and a jeep....what more can you ask for?

Thanks all,
Susan

P.S. War Eagle!

and we are honored that you are here on Jeepz!
;)

we need more good God-fearing people here to offset the really bad ones... like Mud and Saurian:purple: :purple: :purple: :D :D :D :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :p :p :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :grin: :grin:

sometimes, I just can't help it
I think I have turrets......:lol: :lol:

As I read this post and wonder...

What brings each of us here in the first place? Well Jeeps that was obvious but when you finish arguing jeeps that leaves a void to fill, you still want to hang out with your on-line jeep friends, find out what there doing, where they been wheeling, whats going on in their lives...

Why?

Why because you have stop considering them an on-line name and put a face to them, put a jeep to that name and you starting caring about them as a friend.
Yes TC even though your frustrated at him at some times you still like the guy. And I am sure he feels the same.
We are a diverse group here, bonded together by our passion of Jeeps and all aspects of our lives surrounding our jeeps. Yes we are different but that is to be expected, even wanted. It would be very difficult to come to Utah Jeepers jeep board and read every thing that I want to write that day because Utah Jeeper 132 just wrote about it 20 minutes ago.

Some times one or two of us are so passionate about an issue that it becomes personal and don't realizes that we have crossed that proverbial line. We all do that some times, but that is what makes us...human.

Maybe we all should sit back and look at what a on-line message board really is, it's a place to voice our victories and defeats in our jeeping life. A place to share a little bit of of ho-hum lives with people whom we come to concider....(gulp) as our friends. (Shudders at that statment...TC, Mingez...oh my even MUD!! Friends!. ewwwwwwwwww)

Its a place to meet and get to know a very diverse group of jeeper's, that outside a jeep jamboree, you would never have a chance like it again. But it has it draw back because at a jeep Jamboree you only meet that person for a few days...here you get to know that person allot longer...and some times you learn a thing or two that you don't like. We are all adult's and need to learn to go beyond the petty and enjoy the whole.

Just as watching some guy get red face in traffic about some one he will never know doing a stupid move...and you laugh him for his idiotic behavior.
Maybe you need to laugh about some ones writing here and go on.

You know...that might be the key....maybe we need more laughter in our lives and on-line chatting!:p :purple: :p

i too came here recently. i was not fond of the personality of the "other " sitesand have devoted my time to perusing this site only. . i thought the good info and familarity you all seem to share was a good fit for me. who among us hasn't hung out in a group of diverse personalities ?
this is what makes us tick. maybe sparky does go off the deep end some times . i havent been aroung long enough to be affected by it. but we all can't be beaver cleaver ..we need eddie haskels too. its like they say about boxing , porn and a host of other things, if you dont like it...dont look. if we dont like what someone posts or responds to our posts ...just dont respond. THAT is what fuels an attack we shouldnt support a censor or put too much faith in a few to "regulate " what we see and say....people here seem to be genuine and friendly, even when we dont agree. lets just play nice and act like adults..( ha ha if you only really KNEW me ....8) ) anyway as a newby here did i invite a cold shoulder because of my opinion or a witty rebuttal ? i'll take a butt chewin when its due and it sounds like the jk man and sparky BOTH had one comming ..but stop the madness !!!!!!!!!!jeep on.

Last edited:

Damn, go away for a bit and the kids will always get into the cookie bin.

Folks, I know Al Gore invented the internet, but come on now. Grab your wet noodles, take twenty paces blindfolded, and commence to eat some pasta...

I would say "can't we all just get along" but instead now will have a cold beer. Ok, off cool off, just did a TX style 300 mile loop on the bike. Can we say toasted.

Happy trails.

Back