Local Flooding

90Xjay

Well theres floodin' down in texas....all of the telephone lines are down...

Remember that song from Stevie Ray ?

We just got a call over the city emergency contact system and the recording told us to be prepared to evacuate.:shock:

Me and my neighbor drove around, we have a main creek about 1/2 mile or less from here and it's about 8 feet away from going out of the banks.
If it would just stop raining now we would be fine. We have had just under 5 inches since 11AM yesterday and they say we could get another 3.

This tropical storm remnant that moved up here has stalled out and it's kicking our butt.
They had to cancel the yearly Air Show put on by Dyess Air Force Base:(

oh well..

I think I'm going up on my roof now and start yelling for FEMA;)

Be careful 90, we kind of missed out on this batch but Dean appears to be heading our way now. Good thing I got a boat, after all that rain a month ago, the lake is very close to my backyard fence now. The lake is 40 feet over pool. Take Care

It's looking better.;)

The creek cleaning and work that the city done 2 years ago has helped the creek handle the flood. We still have a even larger volume of water headed our way on top of the flood waters already in the creek due to a local lake overflowing, but they still seem to think it won't be too bad.

So far this year, out county has gotten almost twice our average yearly rainfall.
unbelievable.

That last batch of rain hit all around us, nothing locally. Send some of that water out here. Good to hear the water is staying where it belongs.

The problem here in Central Texas is we are already over our average rainfall but still have cracks in the ground. Too much too quick instead of a steady rain. I kind of wish I was a junk dealer because there is so much stuff floating in our lakes that came down from the rivers, trees (big trees, propane tanks, fridges, you name it) the current and the level of the rivers and streams just pulled everything off the banks and drug it into the lakes. 90, the more rain you get, we eventually receive in our lakes or well some of it. Our problem is Lake Proctor since it's a power plant lake they release as much as they can which insults our lakes. Running out of fish in the freezer. LOL

as of 7am the creek is starting to come out of it's banks in my neighborhood
The same areas that flooded in 2002 are doing it again
So far it has left our street alone

There is a bridge about 1/2 mile from us and it's less than a foot or so under it now. as long as no debris clogs it up, there are saying it should crest in about 2 hours.
I think we'll be fine, but some of my neighbors may get some water in their homes before it's all over.

thanks for the encouragement.. it has been a long night around here up ever hour or so, checking on creek levels:-|

If any of you are interested I posted some pics I shot this afternoon

the first ones are of the creek that was flooding near my home about 1/3rd mile away.
While it didn't flood my neighborhood, it did break out of it's banks north of me and flooded a big part of town. About 1000 people had to be evacuated.

The last part of the pics shows the source of the flood which is the same creek about 25 miles from here where the 12 inches of rain fell and caused this whole thing.

This link should work.

also you can look at our local paper's site. They have some good shots from a small plane.
newspaper site

Be careful 90, we kind of missed out on this batch but Dean appears to be heading our way now. Good thing I got a boat, after all that rain a month ago, the lake is very close to my backyard fence now. The lake is 40 feet over pool. Take Care

Yeah, we got a little bot of Erin here in Corpus Christi, but I'm more scared about Dean now. I heard however that it's headed more towards Mexico maybe now. I hate saying this . . . but let's hope so.

Wow... it's really flat there :shock: in Abilene

The problem is that the hills and canyons to the south is where the water gathers and flows through the creeks through town until it reaches the city lake about 8 miles north.

As long as the creeks stay in the banks we are fine, but if not...

Those pics you posted tell the story, that is for sure. When the flow is that brown, there is a lot of movement.

Prayers and best wishes for you, your family and neighbors!

Back