Officer kills studen on campus

JeepMonkey

abc30.com: Roosevelt High School Student Shot and Killed - Fresno Police Officer Shot and Killed a Roosevelt High Student 4/17/08

This is sure to get some fires going. The story is that the police officer came out of the office at the school and a 17 year old student walks up and cracks him over the head with a bat. As the officer was going down he reaches for his weapon and the magazine fell out. The student came at him again at which time the officer reaches for his second weapon (ankle holster) and fires one, possibly two, shots and killed him.

I say bravo! Of all days to do this he picks the one year anniversary of the VT shootings. I'm sure every cop in America that was even close to a school yesterday had orders to stay extra vigilant. How did this cop know this kid wasn't about to snatch his gun and go on a shooting spree? I think the cop did the right thing. It is unfortunate that it had to end with life lost, but the same parents would be screaming just as loud if the cop hadn't done what he did and the kid went on to kill some students instead.

The bast*rd got what was coming to him. What the hell was he trying to prove by hitting a police officer anyway?

THATS RIGHT!

I'm a Deputy in NC. They had everyone in our county on the alert due to the anniversary.

What sux is that someone will somehow turn it around on the officer and make him the bad guy.

Stupid kid. Must have been a pretty weak kid tho, if you can't knock a dude out with a bat, you're pretty much a weakling.

Good for the cop. I haven't heard one person say that he was out of line yet...but give it time I suppose.

Trey, are you a deputy in Newton? Most of my family lives in that area. Claremont (Catfish!), Conover, Lincolnton, and, of course, my dad lives in Newton.

Itchee.......yeah....i'm a Deputy in Catawba County....i live between newton and claremont, near Bandys

there almost has to be some story behind the story as to why this stupid kid did this unless he was high or just real dumb to start with, why would you go after a cop like that??

We watched the live press conference this morning just after I posted the link. Apparently, the kid was on several drugs for anti-depressants and possible schizophrenia. The chief of police says that from all the interviews and investigation since it happened it looks like the kid was trying to commit "cop assisted suicide".

Of course the parents of all the kids in the school are screaming nonsense at the school for not letting them talk to their kids for two whole hours after it happened. Plus, they locked the campus down for their safety, just in case it wasn't an isolated incident. I guess I'd be pretty ****ed at the school too....NOT!

Aw, that sucks.

Well, I'm not saying that the illness excuses anything, but I've worked with too many schizophrenics in my psyche rotations to not call this a tragedy. Poor tormented souls... Sad all around.

I'd rather be dead too... :(

Good for the cop tho for doing what he should have done.

Nice call on the back story 90.

Trey, welcome, I'm a Deputy in IL. Always good to see more LE Jeepers around.

I am a Police Officer mysefy assigned to a University in CT. Of course the bleeding hearts are going to say the cops did something wrong its always the cops fault. The media seems to always take this position as it is more contraversal and they get more WOW factor. Dead Cops get news for a day or two. Cop kills innocent misdirected High school student who was a nice kid and liked playing vidio games gets news for a week or more... I'LL BET THIS ISN'T THE LAST YOU HEAR ABOUT THAT ANKLE HOLSTER

Last edited:
The ironic thing is that people are now saying they don't feel their children are safe at this highschool anymore. This has got to be one of the worst schools in our district here. They haven't been safe for a long time! Can you imagine 20 years ago hearing that there was a cop and parole officer assigned to every highschool?

The ironic thing is that people are now saying they don't feel their children are safe at this highschool anymore. This has got to be one of the worst schools in our district here. They haven't been safe for a long time! Can you imagine 20 years ago hearing that there was a cop and parole officer assigned to every highschool?

Yeah, sign of the times. Gangs..I blame it on the culture of gangs. Even if a kid is straight, there is some influence now. Every kids a tough guy these days, even in the burbs. Columbine, VT, it's just stupid.
e
I mean, even when I was in HS, the beginnings of the gangster fad, with the movie "Colors". Every kid, regardless of color wanted to be a crip. Makes me ill.

As for this kid, if he truly was a schizophrenic, that's a different issue, but the gang thing does speak to the reasons why we have a cop in every school these days.

Even in the 80's in Albuquerque, we had a detective on every campus.

I just can't imagine what the cop feels like. It really bothers me how often we hear about people who want to commit suicide but decide they want to try and ruin a cops life in the process. Even if the officer doesn't feel bad about it, it will still cause so much stress in his life.

Off topic, I knew we had bounty and a couple other officers on here, how many are there? I'm a Conservation Officer (game warden, deer cop, whatever you want to call it.)

Being an older guy, I remember a 'Security Guard' at the High School that I attended (graduated 1971).

I think that the primary objective was to monitor parking lots and people arriving and leaving the facility at the start of the day, lunchtime and at the end of the day.

Seems to be several "Officers" here at Jeepz.

Thanks for all the good that you do...often without the respect you deserve.

I for one am grateful!

Larry

Back