Snow driving.

> I was wondering. Should I use 4 wheel drive on the streets? And any other tips for snowy driving would be appreciated,

us guys in the northern snow chuckle when the south gets a dusting and freaks.

a Jeep (even in hilly parts) will do most road winter stuff in 2wd just fine.
4wd is for tricky spots.

the only thing you need to be aware of is you don't want to run 4wd (command track or the old locking hubs) on dry surfaces... reason is the front and rear can bind up due to slightly different ratios (tires worn to different circumferences ect...) and can break an axle.

4wd is for situations where the wheels can slip/forgive enough to compansate.

if you're in 2wd and go into a slide, shifting to 4wd and powering up will pull you out of it.

snow tires will help with stops, but that holds true if you mount 4 on any car.

for most 3" snow road stuff you don't need 4wd and can save the extra power (& gas) needed to turn the front axle.

best advice is go play and learn the tricks.

I was born in 1952, and up here in the north (SW Pa.), we use 4wd and an immature aggressive attitude to terrorize and humiliate common people. when we get snow (like a foot) the 4 cylinder Jeep guys get the crazy teenager eyes while John Q Public panics to the store for stock up/shut in food. when the rest of the world is paralyzed and blizzard snow bound, the jeep guys are out waving to each other mid-power slide and making money plowing... like milking a cash cow while you giggle in your hot chocolate.

It's normal for the steering to be a bit jerky while in 4 wheel drive correct?
If you have lockers, locked or posi lock traction yes it will be jerly on dry pavement. Limited slip is more forgiving. Other things causing jerky steering while in 4WD (like mentioned above) tires of different size between front and back or left to right or differences in gear ratios front to back. If the front to back items were an issue you may also feel some jerking or hopping while driving straight on dry pavement as well.

when it snows here i get excited cuz its time ta go out and have a little bit of fun playing in the ditches and the side roads that dont get plowed rt away heck we got 2 inches of snow last night i didnt even bother ta shovel the driveway its not that much snow and i hear ya about us jeep guys out waveing at the other jeeps and trying to help out our fellow and less fortinate road users with a tow strap and a kind word find an open area and have fun guys playing in the snow is a great way to learn what your 4x4 can do and how it handles comes in handy with slick goey mud in the spring

So happy with how the jeep did in the snow and ice, there were a ton of people slipping and sliding around, saw an FJ slide off the road into the curb haha. Threw it in 4 high and had some fun while everyone else was slippin and sliding ;) not too much snow, but a ton of ice everywhere.

Attachments

• image-3935251150.jpg
    image-3935251150.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image-1221880315.jpg
    image-1221880315.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 209
just took my new xj in the snow for the first time. i have the city road tires on it that came on it and i trudged through about 1 foot no problem in 4hi. up hills, down hills, through rivers, it did amazing. i love it so far.

I think you need to go head with the snow driving it should be osum. i am sure you will have fun. but then you need to be careful at the same time.

Congrats for you car and the licensee. at the same time before you go for a snow drive make sure the tires are fine.

Just remember that 4 wheel drive alone will not help you stop any better on slick road surfaces...and if you don't know what you're doing in snow and ice you can still get stuck...even in a 4x4.

This is very true. 4x4's go better in snow but they don't stop or turn any better than anything else. Basically 4wd works by letting you power your way out of problems...but if you're already going too fast then you're SOL.
On snow-covered roads A/T's are better than M/T's and dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks are the best because the rubber compound is designed to grip on ice. On snow you are better off with a tire tread that has a large number of small edges (A/T) and not a small number of large edges (M/T).

I limited-slip rear is better if you know how to drive it. With an open diff only one wheel will spin and the other will track the vehicle. With a limited-slip or locker on snow or ice the rear end will want to come around on turns because both wheels will spin. As long as you're expecting it, it's not a big deal. Counter steer and motor on. Personally I'd rather have power going to both wheels and drive it right, meaning easy on the gas, especially in turns.

In 4wd the front end will want to plow straight ahead on snow, so again slow down before turning on snow-covered roads and power-on, power-off, power-on, etc., as you see how it will turn. Generally you will want to turn the wheel more than you would for the same turn on dry pavement, but if you crank it too hard at once the Jeep will just go straight ahead into that utility pole, guardrail, parked car, or whatever. For the same reason, front lockers are generally bad in snow (unless you're 'froading in deep stuff) and most of the time you are better off leaving one front hub unlocked if you can (if you have a locker).

I was born in 1952, and up here in the north (SW Pa.), we use 4wd and an immature aggressive attitude to terrorize and humiliate common people. when we get snow (like a foot) the 4 cylinder Jeep guys get the crazy teenager eyes while John Q Public panics to the store for stock up/shut in food. when the rest of the world is paralyzed and blizzard snow bound, the jeep guys are out waving to each other mid-power slide and making money plowing... like milking a cash cow while you giggle in your hot chocolate.
Couldn't have said it better.

I love it. Down here in the Southwest, in Las Cruces, NM, last winter we had 2 days of snow and the place shut down. It was a blast and soooooo differnt than growing up in Montana where we all used track vehicles and chains on our rigs-plowing, stuck, slide ins, roads closed, etc etc. Too funny. I also do not do snow anymore!!!!!!......

image-missing.png

Robert

im up here in wisconsin 3 inches of snow aint nuttin we had a snow storm here about a month ago we got dumped on 24 ta 28 inches depending on where u live here in the state it was a blast to go play in the jeep did pretty good i even pulled the local law out of the ditch and then he turns around and gave me a ticket for loud exshust go figure eh

buggar had no scruples....:x

Back