hey everybody!

tjlboise

Im new to the whole Jeepz site....in fact I just recently was finally able to buy my first jeep. Now all I need is to find some people to go wheeling with. I live boise Idaho. Is there anybody out there pretty close by? I want to get a few runs under my belt before I go and join a club. They seem to have a lot of rules around here.

I'd make the trip just to see a bronco's home game.

Hey thanks. Im pretty excited as I have wanted a jeep soooo bad for the last 11 years or so. Circumstances just never allowed it until now.
Anyway- its a 90 wrangler YJ and I absolutely love it. It has just enough upgrades to make it look and run better than the stock version. Im a little confused on where to start with adding my own ideas to it. Most importantly would be the u-joints and drive shaft I think. It also needs a winch. Any input on what to use and where to get these things?

tjlboise said:
Hey thanks. Im pretty excited as I have wanted a jeep soooo bad for the last 11 years or so. Circumstances just never allowed it until now.
Anyway- its a 90 wrangler YJ and I absolutely love it. It has just enough upgrades to make it look and run better than the stock version. Im a little confused on where to start with adding my own ideas to it. Most importantly would be the u-joints and drive shaft I think. It also needs a winch. Any input on what to use and where to get these things?

Have u done any reading while u were jeep dreamn? A winch is a good thing to have, but there heavy, so ur front susp. could sag a little. I'm on my first jeep as well, and my first need was some tires. I would say to learn ur rig, see what it can handle, and go from there. Ad soon as ur out, u will start a wishlist. Of course I would also say to bring the basics if at least a cb radio, front AND rear recovery points, ur own tow strap, a hi lift jack (be sure to mount that bad boy just incase of a roll) and if ur like me a first aid kit. A full size spare is a good idea incase u blow a bead. My first time out it was just me and my girl, and we got stuck. Bad. If I woulda gone w some friends I woulda got out quick instead of waiting and waiting for help!

Hey thanks a lot. That was all good advice. Way back when I decided that someday I was going to get a jeep I decided also that the best thing I could do, if I couldn't have the jeep yet, was to begin setting up for it. I bought myself a high lift jack and mount, a completely portable tool set, the c.b. radio (with the loud speaker just cuz), two gas cans, a chain and tow rope, a roadside emergency kit, a pick axe, a small shovel, and a GPS. She does have some pretty decent all terrain tires on her, and a little bit of an extra frontal suspension booster. Dude I got it from said he was planning on installing a winch so he beefed up the susp. In the front... he just hadn't gotten to the winch part yet.
I have been on around 7 wheeling excursions in the past, but always as the navigator. This will be my first round as a pilot. But im definitely going to wait until I find another vehicle to go with me. I do NOT want to get stuck alone. I really appreciate the input and advice, so thanks again and keep it coming. I love hearing the stories too.

Just remember u WILL get stuck. What u do at that point depends on what ur skill level is. Like a dummy I went behind my work 5 days or so after buying my jeep, had bald tires, got into a little snow, got stuck and for some reason (prob cause um a putz) I decided to try and power out by doing some dump the clutch action, and broke a rear axle. Before I made my first payment. Lesson was think, don't just floor it. Save that for the mud!

If I lived where u are I would defiantly look into the Easter jeep safari in moab. I've unfortunately never have been, but its supposed to be the end all of jeep fests.

Hmmmm... never heard of it, but I will look into it. And thanks for the story. I love learning from other peoples mistakes! Haha! More brains than brawn. Got it.

The more I think about it, the more it makes me laugh...not at you, just the circumstances. As for me... I have been waiting way too long for this to just go and break it right away. Im definitely gonna ease into it and see what she can take before I do anything too crazy. Luckily, its paid off, so if I DO break something, at least im not making payments on something I can't use.

In this sport/hobbie u will break something. Don't forget to try out ur hi lift b4 hitting the trails. With ur chains, u can use it as a manual witch. As long as ur chains are of the proper grade. I would also recommend to keep ur anti sway bars connected to learn ur rigs limits, then undo the front.

Nice advice on the sway bar thing, but why would you want to UNdo them? The hi lift is in perfect working condition. I've checked it out a couple of times just to get a good feel for the thing. Im really curious about this swaybar thing though.

Ive never disconnected mine but from what I've heard it allows more independent suspension flex.

Yeah I was looking through the quadratech catalog and I saw they had some quick disconnecter's. I love that place so much. They're gonna make me go broke.

jackflack44 said:
Ive never disconnected mine but from what I've heard it allows more independent suspension flex.

I've been running no sway bars for a year now!!! It allows your front end to articulate more. I never undo my rear ones just the front

Disconnecting ur front swaybar is going to help ur front end articulate in a great way. There are good ones, and cheaper ones. The cheap ones clink and can be hard to re connect. Go to rockroad.com. they have some great shots at how they help. And they have some very inexpensive parts. Quad. Is a GREAT vender, but are high priced on some things that u can find cheaper. If u have a local club, u might get a discount with a vender. My club gets a % off at 4wd.com. if u don't get one, call and ask. Qtec won't consider a discount unless u have like 100 members or something.

jackflack44 said:

Give it a try, u might be surprised. Just be sure ur on level ground when u try to re-connect.

And if u disconnect, u can drive on road but u would recommend taking it easy until u find out how much u sway. Ur in a jeep. Jeeps are top heavy. If ur lifted, and on a narrow tire u could put it on its side. Unlikely, but possable. Here's how u know in-hooking is a good idea. The rubicons have a switch on the dash that electronically undo front and rear swaybars. And there only the best off road vehicle from the factory. Of course there's other items on there claim to fame, but this is cheaper and easier than throwing some d44s and lockers at it.

U can't do this unless ur sway bar is disc.

Attachments

• DSC03847-512x384.jpg
    DSC03847-512x384.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 148
Back