What are the best models for a trail ride jeep?

freedomrik

Next year I am getting a jeep to build a trail ride. I am looking for anything between 93 to 98 model. I like the kooks of the Grand Cherokee but was hoping all you Jeepers could recommend what model has the most going for it as a trail rider...

Things to consider.....
Low initial cost
Parts availability
durability of model
Stock trail design
Suspension

Thanks guys,

Jeeps Rule !!!

The one you actually use on the trail.

I'll goe with 91-95 YJ

EFI 4.0, solid transmission, tough and simple leaf springs, can fit a 31" tire with nothing more than some trimming and TJ flares.

extremely easy to upgrade.

I agree, '91-'95 YJ, simple and inexpensive to mod for a good trail rig.

You will get almost as many different answers as there are jeeps.

Next year I am getting a jeep to build a trail ride. I am looking for anything between 93 to 98 model. I like the kooks of the Grand Cherokee but was hoping all you Jeepers could recommend what model has the most going for it as a trail rider...

Things to consider.....
Low initial cost
Parts availability
durability of model
Stock trail design
Suspension

Thanks guys,

Jeeps Rule !!!

I want to preface this by clarifying that when you say "trail rider" I am going to assume you are talking about real trails and not simply dirt roads.

That said, I hate to tell you that you're probably going to want to stay away from the Grand Cherokee if you're looking for a trail rig. Earlier models like you mentioned can in fact be modified to be very capable; however it will be much more expensive and much more headache inducing than just simply buying a more capable Jeep to start with. Your best bet is going to be a Wrangler. A YJ will generally be cheaper and a little easier to work on, but an early TJ would be a fine choice as well. Both are extremely capable even if they are bone stock. If you need more passenger room, you could find an XJ. XJ's can be monsters on the trail, but generally speaking modifications tend to be more expensive than on a Wrangler. So yeah, I would suggest a Wrangler unless you absolutely have to be able to carry more than 3 passengers at a time.

it was way cheaper to put a 5" lift on my 87 cherokee with 4.0 then anything i have been able to find for my 87 wrangler. but stock, i think the yj would do better.

I love my xj for the room and comfort. It drives nice on the rough trails and it gets me where I need to go. I am looking for a wrangler unlimited though.

i put a 4" lift on my yj for 800 pretty straight forward and pretty capable although if a tire in front and a tire in rear break loose its helpless lol need some lockers....

Thanks everyone, I do need more room. I have a CJ 7 which i like to mud in, but I was looking for something to get all 4 family members in. Sounds like the XJ maybe what I am looking for. Any specific years better than others? Any years to avoid?

I have had an 87, 95, 98, anx some other year xj and they were all great jeeps. The 87 had the older renix fuel injection but was easy to work on and modify. It also hzd the different differential pinion height which let me put a 5" lift on with no vibes or shimming the axles. I didn't mod any of the others but I heard tons of horror stories about people trying to lift over 3" and having bad vibes Nd nothing but trouble. I would look for an early model because of how dependable the fuel injection is and how easy they are to lift. Put a bored out throttle body on a renix 4.0 and it accelerates like a hi output does so power is not an issue

Back