Factory-built Jeep pickup "at least four years away," still not confirmed

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you patiently waiting for a production Jeep pickup that you can pick up at your local dealership, we have bad news. Automotive News is quoting Jeep CEO Michael Manley as saying it won't be happening anytime soon.

"It is too late in Wrangler's product cycle to add a pickup. The 2015 or 2016 time frame makes more sense. That's when we will refresh the Wrangler," said Manley at the Frankfurt Motor Show. All hope is not lost, however, as Manley says he is "working closely with the product team because [he thinks] a pickup would be a great addition and a natural extension of the product line."

In the meantime, buyers are welcome to order up one of Chrysler's Mopar Jeep JK-8 pickup conversion kits, which will convert Wrangler Unlimited models into a small pickup. The JK-8 Independence kit includes a pickup bed floor, body panels, a fiberglass cap and a bulkhead. Dealers or ambitious do-it-yourselfers can do the conversion. The kit costs $5,499, and Mopar says it has sold about 300.

While it's certainly not as good as a ready-made machine, the JK-8 kit is reportedly selling better than Jeep had expected, which can only bode well for the chances of a production pickup in due time.

Source - Autonews

Re: Factory-built Jeep pickup "at least four years away," still not confirmed

sweet!! commanche, here we come!! ha ha ha

Turning my Yj into a truck cab doesnt appeal to me. but there is an old Jeep truck out at the local dealership I would love to have...

I was looking at the show your cherokee thread and there is a really cool it looks like a 95 two door Cherokee that he cut up into a pick up or its a cammanchie idk but I like it alot

A local dealership near me has a 2006 Unlimited with the Pick-up cab conversion kit. The thing has 50K miles on it and they're asking $39K for it! I told the salesman I hoped they a permanent spot for it because at that price it was going to become a permanent fixture on their lot!

Of course the $5K cost of the JK conversion does not include labor and from what I've read this is not a bolt on weekend project, nor a DIY for the weak at heart! I understand the frame has to be cut so an extention can be welded in and there is extensive sheet work as well. I would imagine the cost would be between to $45K - $60K depending upon the trim level you started with...

I snapped a few pics of this jeep that was parked at the local grocery store. I don't know if this is an AEV or a Mopar kit, but I like it.

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110922_154456.png
    ForumRunner_20110922_154456.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 572
  • ForumRunner_20110922_154517.png
    ForumRunner_20110922_154517.png
    498 KB · Views: 579
  • ForumRunner_20110922_154537.png
    ForumRunner_20110922_154537.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 959

is that newer jeep? it looks like a tug with big tires on it

That's the same kit on the Jeep at the dealer near me! That one is white though...

Back