Jeep Pickup Truck Coming For 2012

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
A version of a Jeep pickup shown to Chrysler dealers during a recent dealers meeting in Orlando, Fla., has been greenlit for production. According to PickupTrucks.com sources it will start production in the 3rd quarter of 2011 as a 2012 model.

On Tuesday, Jeep CEO Mike Manley reportedly showed dealers a pickup truck that’s said to closely resemble the well-received Jeep Gladiator concept from 2005.

Industry sources have told us that production of the Jeep pickup is expected to start in the third quarter of 2011, with the pickup badged as a 2012 model. It’s said to be based on the four-door Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited platform but with a two-door regular cab configuration with extra space behind the front seats for storage.

Jeep hasn't offered a pickup for sale to consumers in North America since the 1992 Jeep Comanche ended production. Manley told PickupTrucks.com in June that he was interested in small pickup trucks because of their popularity worldwide. Todd Goyer, head of Jeep brand communication and product planning, said the company had no comment about the news of a Jeep pickup.

Attachments

• jeep_pickup_truck.jpg
    jeep_pickup_truck.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 92,882
  • jeep-pickup.jpg
    jeep-pickup.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 7,471
So basically it will be a JK chassis based J8 truck?

PS, those pictures are of the gladiator concept that the current JK was based on

So basically it will be a JK chassis based J8 truck?

PS, those pictures are of the gladiator concept that the current JK was based on

Yeah, it's on the unlimited chassis.

I don't think Jeep has released any photos of the new one yet.

Ya, I'm 99% positive that it will be the same J8 truck that jeep is currently selling over seas. I hope it retains the leaf srpung semi float LSD D60 rear and D44 front. Would make a great platform for a sick trail rig... if they can get a 4bt to pass 50 state emissions, tow rig..

Some more Info I found.

Rumors have it that the new pickup will be based on the four-door Jeep Wrangler, and will probably look a lot like the Jeep Gladiator Concept that was unveiled during the 2005 Detroit Auto Show. That concept truck came with a 2.8 liter diesel-hope the production truck (if it goes into production) comes the same way.

Some are reporting that we will see a production Jeep Pickup by the third quarter of 2011. If it really happens that will be great. We haven't had a Jeep pickup for a long time.

Needless to say, the folks at Chrysler aren't saying anything about the Jeep Pickup one way or the other right now.

jeepgladiator1-1.jpg

jeepgladiator3-1.jpg

From Jeepnewsnow:

I've received a couple of unconfirmed reports this morning that a Wrangler-based 1-ton pickup has been confirmed at a "Dealers Principles" meeting. The vehicle is said to come with a turbo diesel engine and go on sale during calendar year 2011.

Back