Another Stupid Jeep buying thread.

flienlow

I have a problem. A big problem. I have never in my life bought a car, used it until it was no good, disposed of it, and then bought another. I never have. I always buy something, use it for a while, get bored or tired of it, and then go on to the next thing. Right or wrong, that is just me. I have never owned a Jeep, but let me assure you, it will be no different.
With that said I ALWAYS need to factor in resale value in whatever I purchase. I am really hung up on the new jeep Pentastar V-6.
In my Opinion if someone were to have bought a 2011 jeep, they would be taking a huge resale hit. Even though it’s the same truck as a 2012 the engine is much better in the 2012, and that is not a cheap and easy fix, so right there I should buy a 2012 right? Can I buy a 2011 and bolt on a blower, or is that a stupid idea?
I know little about Jeep resale. I am being told by dealers that resales on these are very strong, but they are dealers!
The next issue is Rubicon/Lockers/Swaybar release vs. Just buying a Wrangler X or Sahara? Should I just buy a cheaper jeep and add that kind of stuff after market or take the factory installed option?

Finally, here are my Criteria for buying.

1. Strong consideration for resale value. This will be a toy to me. I want to buy one dink around with it, and be able to get out of it without taking a complete bath. – I understand this is not an investment or money making proposition.
2. 4 door jeep w/hardtop.
3. Heated seats.
I want to play with this up in the snow, light mudding, and trail. Most of the miles to be commuting.
I will not be grinding this against a canyon wall, or rolling down a hill climb.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of people with jeep experience.

go with the highest model then and keep it clean. it will resale the best

I sugest getting the rubicon so you won't have to spend a lot of time upgrading. Great offroading capabilities. Keeps its value for a long time and keeping it clean like superj says will help a lot with resale value. Will be interesting to see if you lose interest in jeeping. Doesn't happen very often.

buy a used one, if you're worried about resale value. like mine. better than anything they'd ever have on the lot, anyway. inline sixes really holding some value, since they can't put those out anymore. legendary platform.

he will lose interest if he is only using it on road. my wife did. she goes through vehicles a lot also. once a year she wants a new car. i thought the wrangler would end it because she had wanted one since she was 18 but it didn;t. she had a sahara too, had everything but cruise control and two folding forward seats. she said the seats not both tilting is what made her not want it anymore

I have a jeep wrangler unlimited jk overland sahara. I payed just over 20 for it and the dealer has already made me an offer for a brand new 2011 unlimited. However only 2011 and newer have heated seats. Any four door you get will hold value for a few years. If I were you though I would start at jeep.com. The newer jeeps will be worth more longer. Also if you prefer the unlimited (four door) ask this same question at www.jk-forum.com.

I doubt you will move on from this though, I learned how to drive in a Lexus, have had a BMW suv and my dad wanted me to own a nice mercedes. Non of those cars will ever compare to my jeep.

The newer jeeps will be worth more longer.

actually, older jeeps will lose less over time. most value is lost the first year off the lot, second most costly year is the next, then the next, and so on.

if he's worried about getting his money back, a newer vehicle is not as good a purchase, on average, as a well maintained one with a few years.

Poop3000 said:
actually, older jeeps will lose less over time. most value is lost the first year off the lot, second most costly year is the next, then the next, and so on.

if he's worried about getting his money back, a newer vehicle is not as good a purchase, on average, as a well maintained one with a few years.

EXCEPT we are only looking at a small spectrum of jeeps he is looking at. He wants 4 doors. A 2012 jk unlimited is worth more then its 2007 counterpart. He also wants heated seats. with the 4 door part he can only look at jeeps 2007 and newer and with heated seats he can look at (I believe the 2010) the 2011 and newer.

EXCEPT we are only looking at a small spectrum of jeeps he is looking at. He wants 4 doors. A 2012 jk unlimited is worth more then its 2007 counterpart. He also wants heated seats. with the 4 door part he can only look at jeeps 2007 and newer and with heated seats he can look at (I believe the 2010) the 2011 and newer.

he will lose more on a 2012 jk unlimited than on a 2007. hell, he could put heated seats in himself and still be on the winning end. not saying that's what he wants to do, just saying that if not taking a bath on the vehicle is the first stated concern, then buying older makes more sense than buying 2012.

that's a pretty much universally accepted truth in automotive values.

So how well will the new engine factor into this? I would think that most people would want the pentastar over the 220hp 6? Or, is this not even a concern? If the rig was trail only I am sure any would be fine.

I also have the Chrysler buying program which is invoice -3%,maybe I should just shut up on a go buy on on program? Or can that be beat?

So how well will the new engine factor into this? I would think that most people would want the pentastar over the 220hp 6? Or, is this not even a concern? If the rig was trail only I am sure any would be fine.

I also have the Chrysler buying program which is invoice -3%,maybe I should just shut up on a go buy on on program? Or can that be beat?

i did test drive a jk a few months ago and found the new engine to be considerably more powerful, according to my "butt dyno." (the only one that really matters.)

still, nothing close to what you can do with a few thousand dollars to an older jeep, and still come out on the winning end.

but the new engine is significantly stronger than its immediate predecessor, IMO.

he will lose interest if he is only using it on road. my wife did. she goes through vehicles a lot also. once a year she wants a new car. i thought the wrangler would end it because she had wanted one since she was 18 but it didn;t. she had a sahara too, had everything but cruise control and two folding forward seats. she said the seats not both tilting is what made her not want it anymore
I had a wife like that once. Marriage lasted 18 years and it took me another 18 to get out from under all the bills.:cry: Never satisfied and always wanting something diferent. She cleaned out her next husband in less than 2 years.:lol:

i understand finding the right vehicle. i have been through a number myself (about 25) i am to the point where i keep them a little longer now though if i have something else to tinker with so i buy something i like, like this wrangler, then buy something else to modify.

... i buy something i like, like this wrangler, then buy something else to modify.

Ditto here. We have the wife's ride we keep for trips and the 'worry-free' runner. Then I sometimes have a driver I keep and a toy, or I just swap out every few months. That is how I got the XJ.

Sorry Boys, I decided it was time to stop F'n around and pull out the big guns.

Merry Christmas to me!!!

Attachments

• Rubicon.jpg
    Rubicon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 313

Congrats, hopefully it can convince you ta settle. If not, well at least you got to experience living for a little while.

go and buy a TJ 2000 rubi ect fix it up ,go bush ,have a car for the road ,keep the jeep for fun ,buy sell buy sell ,jeeps are fun in the sun or wet ;) forget about the cash get out there and bush bash :D

Back