ABC investigates Death Wobble

It's about time it got some press. Too bad it was just a local report. I've always been amazed that Jeep didn't want to do anything to address the problem. You know they've known about it for years.

thats because it has usually been a problem with modded jeeps but lately its been happening more frequently with brand new stock wranglers

If they really want to investigate something worthwhile, it would be the fact Chrysler installed and recommended a gear oil that is corrosive to the AX5 and AX15 transmission synchronizers. Thousands of transmissions have been ruined by Chrysler's blunder. Research what the high sulfer content of GL5 does to these transmissions.

Bounty__Hunter said:
If they really want to investigate something worthwhile, it would be the fact Chrysler installed and recommended a gear oil that is corrosive to the AX5 and AX15 transmission synchronizers. Thousands of transmissions have been ruined by Chrysler's blunder. Research what the high sulfer content of GL5 does to these transmissions.

x2 ive heard about that

The jks are the worst. Off the show room floor I'm aligning them for the wobble.

Sure does. Everytime.

then it's not death wobble. Big, big, difference between death wobble and a shimmy. Like the difference between having a cold and having cancer.

A shimmy will happen in a certain speed range and stop when you go above it or below it by a few mph. Death wobble generally starts around 40 and won't stop until you are almost stopped.

Trail Monkey said:
So they would have you believe. Have you seen it on new JKs?

there have been a bunch of reports of 2007 an up jks with dw brand new

Yup. Brand new jks will break the track bar weld I'm an alignment tech for Chrysler for 10 years I know the difference.

My 2010 JK got it really bad on a certain stretch of road I traveled. It was a kind of "washboard" area, and if I got to it going over 45 then the whole damn vehicle would shake like it was going to fall apart. It really freaked me out when it happened because I'd only had the Jeep for about six weeks. I learned to avoid that lane on that stretch of road, but I'm nervous about hitting another one.

I've had 3 Jeep Wranglers (2001, 2003, & 2012) since 2001, I've never seen it happen with any of them, I realize I've only had my 2012 for about a month, but, I did ALOT of highway travel with my '03, never had any issue. In all honesty, I've never heard of the "Death Wobble", til' I saw this thread. Maybe I just didn't own them long enough to see it?

Jeep® O|||||||O

Back