CJ turns into a turd when warmed up

83CJ701DakRT

Ok, a while back I put in a 258 in my 83 CJ7 that has 59k on it. All was well with it for a while. When I got it out of the paint booth I had to swap to a points type distributor to get rid of my electronic demons. That swap worked out great and for only around $45 out of a 73 Matador. Everything is new but the carb. a few vac lines are missing, but all are plugged or hooked up that need to be. It has no cat right now, just a glasspack and what's left of the tailpipe. I'm in the process of trying to finish the CJ right now, but having bought a house and other financial obligations have put a damper on the CJ. Right now after it warms up it looses power greatly. I've swapped carbs from the donor motor to the one that came on it when I bought the CJ. That hasn't helped my problem. I've thought about vapor lock/gas lines getting hot and all. The outlet side of the fuel pump is getting a little hot and it was routed near the intake manifold, so I moved it away as much as I could. It runs strong at cold start and after sitting for a little while then starting up again, only to act up again when it warms up. I'm at a loss of possibilities here Jeepers, just wondering if anyone can help me out here, it's getting frustrating. Thanks in advance and also for making this a great site that I'm proud to be apart of....Mikey[addsig]

Just an Idea but how about a bad plug? If it idles up when cold, the bad plug won't be as noticable, but when it warms up and idles down, it might be apparent that there is a problem. I am not sure though. all my jeeps have been fuel injected[addsig]

The dead plug theory could be a possibility. Like I said everything is new under the hood, but there is always a chance a plug could have gone bad after a short period of time. I bought AC Delco plugs, I hate Champion, they aren't worth chunking at a window. I'll have to try replacing the plugs one by one. I inspected them, they are gapped right and are a little dirty due to only driving it around the backyard and down the road a little ways. I know the back cylinder (I forget the cylinder number) doesn't change much when you start pulling plugs while it's running. I'll have to check that one out tomorrow after work, I'll post my results after, thanks....Mikey[addsig]

Back