key in the ignitiion won't turn

Jack o

So for the past few months, maybe a year I have had trouble with the key turning the jeep on. I have a 2000 grand cherokee and when my son began driving the problem started. I showed him how to be more 'light' rather than jamming the key in and out of the ignition switch and that did the trick until this week when my wife used the car and didn't know to be 'light' with the switch and was stranded. I finally got the key to turn after I quickly pulled it out of the ignition and put it back in. By some miracle it turned. So now I want to share with you what I did. First I looked on line and someone (thankfully) posted that they hit the key in the ignition with a rubber mallet and so I tried that and it worked. Then I called the dealer. Cost will be $400 to fix the problem. Then I call the local locksmith. He tells me to spray the ignition with WD-40 or he can fix it for $120 but to try the WD40 first. So I do the wd40 trick and it works for the time being. But what I wonder is why the problem exists and the dealer is not prepared to give a reduced deal for their poor ignition switch. I have other cars that were older than 10 years old and problem with the ignition switch. Anyone else have this problem. Let's get the word out. Also use WD-40 first. It's been great!

quick question, it it parked with the wheel turned when this happens?

quick question, it it parked with the wheel turned when this happens?
Nope. As a matter of fact I've tried rocking the car, turning the wheel and both at the same time. Makes no difference. Best bet is when it sticks I use the side of my fist and bump the key while it is in the ignition... then the key can be turned.

Back