What's a Jeep worth these days?

phillika

I have a Jeep on eBay right now and set the reserve at $8500. My original impression was that this Jeep, a super clean 1986 CJ-7 Laredo with original paint, perfect original seats, etc. was worth over $10K maybe even around $12K. Are my expectations too high or is this a function of the current economy? I saw one just like it sell on ebay for $9800 a year ago.

I'd like to sell it and just stick with my YJ, but I'm not going to give it away. At the same time, if I'm expecting too much, I'd like to know that too. Please check out the Jeep on eBay the following link and let me know what you think the Jeep is really worth:

Ken's 1986 CJ-7 on eBay

If it doesn't sell this time around, I'm thinking of detailing the engine, putting in colorful spark plug wires and detailing the underbody as this cosmetic stuff seems to help increase the price substantially. Am I on crack or what?

edited by: phillika, Apr 12, 2003 - 05:24 PM[addsig]

Have you checked:

Edmunds.com

or

Autotrader.com

You will not only find "Dealer and Public,,, Blue Book"
but what good Rigs are going for in your area. Good luck.[addsig]

your price is a LITTLE steep in my opinion. most other CJ's on ebay have 304/350 V8's in them if they want more than $5k, but they're not in as good of shape. yours looks really clean...

hey, alpharetta eh? i have friends that moved down there from PA, last name is "burns", my friend's name is debra, her older sisters are tamara and terah.

-nate

edited by: dingus, Apr 13, 2003 - 06:32 AM[addsig]

Well that's depressing. :-( I think, for whatever reason, the market valuation of Jeeps has come down substantially over the past couple of years. Like I mentioned, I saw one go for $9800 just like this one...this one may be even a wee bit better. Not to mention the fact that I bought it for $7800...but then (3 years ago) you couldn't find a clean one for much less.

I may just hang on to it for a while longer then...maybe when the economy turns around people the value will creep back up. I'll have to think about it.[addsig]

i can't imagine that thing's value going any lower. if i had the cash i'd buy it! you'd might as well hang on to it...[addsig]

The world is at a very strage state right now. Things will get better some day. I am in the secondary market as an auctioneer and things have never been better for my business. My business is good cause folks are buying second hand to save a buck and selling to make a buck.

Back when the Democrats were in charge my business was down quiet a bit. I am not trying to start a fight here but the facts are the economy was much better then. The wheel turns around and around and so does the economy. Things that 3 years ago that I could get a war pention for I can not even sale, while things that I could not sale are now bringing a premium. Go figure!

If you do not have to sale it now hang on to it cause the CJs are just going to get more and more collectible and valueable as time goes on! So good luck what ever you do with it. tug[addsig]

We just tried to sell a CJ-7 and it took forever. I would just hold on to it, you never know when your gonna miss her![addsig]

i have some friends in the new and used car business, and this is just a really terrible time to try to be sellin any type of car/truck/suv.....[addsig]

People with no jobs cannot buy too many things!
Between the collapse of the internet bubble, the
digging up of all the corporate scandals, and the
current war, the economy is suffering. I am not
going to blame current (or prior) administrations,
but hopefully the economy will pick back up soon.

In the meantime, I am going to get a great rate
when financing my first new home. :)
[addsig]

hey, alpharetta eh? i have friends that moved down there from PA, last name is "burns", my friend's name is debra, her older sisters are tamara and terah.

-nate

Hey Dingus. I don't know of any of the Burns' from PA. Nice try though...it's a big place, but hey, you never know. Stranger things have happened. ;-) [addsig]

One of my jeeper buddies, about a month ago, picked up a 84 CJ7 Loradeo with 36K original miles, everything is original, paint, decals, softtop, tires, and only paid $4500 from the originl owner. It was a deal though, but the guy new what he was selling. I will get pics on my web site soon.

Johnny[addsig]

i picked up my 84 cj-7 with 77,000 miles for $2400. a pretty good deal but not all that rare.[addsig]

Back