soft top dilemma... resolution

prariepunk

My 2005 TJ soft top has seen (more than) it's share of abuse & neglect over the years. My zippers barely fit together correctly when I bought the Jeep, the passenger side from seat leaks from who knows where, the stitching is starting to leak, the passenger side soft window developed a crack/rip in the lower rear corner (which I had just fixed)
CAM00434.jpg
& the final straw was that the driver side rear window's zipper came apart... & it poured the the next morning...
CAM00465.jpg
I managed to find a Bestop replace-a-top on Craigslist from somebody who had it for two years on his Jeep which sat in his garage for $150!!! It's just the top so I'll have to swap over my header on to it but I won't complain.

Last edited:

You got a bargain. You'll be happy with a Bestop brand top. Unlike a buddy of mine who bought a Smittybuilt top and hates every minute he is on the highway. It flaps around everywhere.

There are a few differences... the amount of screws holding the top to the header are different my old top had 10 & the new one has 16... & the drivers side zipper is on the window not the top as my old one was.CAM00492.jpg

Back