new here

Slacker

just thought i would introduce myself. i live in colorado and have a 93 yj. i bought it about 2 months ago and have enjoyed every dirty little second of it. i have been reading around and this seems to be the best info around so i thought i would put my name on the table in case i had some questions i wouldn't be intruding too much. hope i can add something of value in the future!

slacker :-D [addsig]

Welcome, never fear of intruding here. As stated time and time again if you have any question "The only dumb question is the one not asked". - Chris[addsig]

i think youll find that you'll have more than a few questions as things wear out and break on your rig..lol :) :cool: [addsig]

the only question i have so far is why this kid i bought this jeep from had 31 inch tires and no lift??? :-? thanks to him i have already chewed up some of the fender flares. :p but i promise to use the search button before posting questions.

West...i will only have one question that will fit every problem i will ever have.....HOW MUCH!?!?!? :-D and i usually hate the answer to that qusetion. baaah!

my rig is already squeakin' and knockin'. it's got 137,000 on it and the kid didn't take care of it. he didn't wheel it at all, but just regular maintainence was the furthest thing from his mind. so i hear a engine rebuild or swap soon. the noisy 4 banger is going to have to do for now. but thanks for the welcomes!

Slacker[addsig]

I don't understand how the 31's chewed up your fender flares. I have 31's without a lift on my '93 YJ and they don't even touch the flares. Maybe there is something else wrong with the set up that guy had.[addsig]

:-O
don't say that!!!! it only touches the front ones. not the rear. i can't see anything else other than bigger tires that he did. the one thing i thought was weird thought was the tires and wheels he put on only have 400 miles or so. that is what he says anyway. and there was no marks on those fender flares when i bought it but the very first time i took it out i chewed them up???? i guess he just put them onthere to look good. but my tires are only about 1 inch or so away from the flares in the front so it isn't even like i have go over anything real big and they touch.
could this be the coming of my fisrt how much queston??? :-x

Slacker[addsig]

The fact that I have yet to find any mud here in South VA could be why I haven't chewed up my flares yet. For your sake I hope that is the only problem, nothing worse than buying a new rig only to fall into problems right away.[addsig]

i wasn't in the mud, but that sounds like fun. i was on a trail. it wasn't a real technical but enough to test everything i suppose. but even he tols me that when he put those tires on the guy told him that he couldn't much in the way of wheeling because it would rub. you didn't hear the same thing?
my jeep looks funny i think. it looks like it is lowered. :lol:

Slacker[addsig]

Actually everything I have read says that 31's will fit on a stock YJ with only a little rubbing on tight turns. Guy's helps us out here with a little feedback please.[addsig]

31s should not be put on a stock YJ if you are going to be doing any kind of wheeling. If you need some cheap clearance, you can put a body lift on TEMPORARILY. In the future you should put a 2.5" lift on. That will give the 31s plenty of room. I also have a 93 YJ and mine was beat on when I got it. I only have 101000, but it is dying faster than I would like. And everyone here is real good with helping you out with any problems or questions you have. Theyll make you feel right at home.

TARSI[addsig]

i am wondering if i should just put some longer shackles on there for an extra inch or so until do enough research about suspension and body lifts. but i have 10.5's too and they don't rub on turns at all. baahhhh! it won't hurt it. it will have clearance soon enough. the bad part is that i live on the edge of town and the trails i go to are on the way home from work and i can't stay away from that place. :-D crazy kids.

Slacker

taris, thanks for the reply. i was thinking of 2 to 2.5. but i am thinking i am going to have to pay attention to the engine first. and when i saw the tag on a 4.0..... :-O . looks like i might have to listen to the rub for a little while longer.

edited by: Slacker, May 13, 2003 - 01:31 PM[addsig]

Yeah longer shackles will give you some clearance. I would only go with 1" lift shackles becasue they are 2" longer than stock. Any more than that the shackles are really long and dont look good. You are so lucky to have trails on your way home from work. The closest trails I have to me is Paragon up in hazleton pa.

TARSI[addsig]

welcome.. i pretty new to.

ps i got 33's on my jeep and its got a 2 inch lift ( when i got it the guy had the stuff to left it and had 31's on it so i lifted it and putt 33's on it and both fit good. so i dont think its the wheel size

from joseph [addsig]

thanks for the link osito. i think i am going to stick to the 31's for now. and get everything else in order.
and sorry for the spelling error "tarsi" :-( won't happen again.
so sagging springs? that might be why it is so close huh? well soon enough. i think i can get greasable shackles for about 100 at F N JEEP. have you guys heard of that place? anyone do business with them? just curious.
yeah it is pretty cool to have trails by the house. like i said they aren't anything that would make the big boys turn giddy, but it is nice to bounce around a little on the way home from work. to get to any "real" trails you have to travel at least on hour from here up into the mountains. but i have only ridden my dirt bikes up there. i know my jeep will get eaten alive by some of those trails. i am just having a blast learning how to handle this thing on the trail so i won't blow it when it counts! :-D

Slacker[addsig]

I don't understand how the 31's chewed up your fender flares. I have 31's without a lift on my '93 YJ and they don't even touch the flares. Maybe there is something else wrong with the set up that guy had.
osito....

31/10.5 on a YJ or TJ requires stock or near
stock wheel offset..

Welcome aboard slacker, you're in the right place.[addsig]

Back