Rough Crap-try shocks!

Jagered

Just a PSA...
I've heard this already but just have to say wow! My cuz did a lift years ago at a local place and they installed Rough Country shocks. He had a ... noise that he couldn't find but when I got under it I found the rear shock bar pin sheared off on both sides?!? WTH?!?

The pic gives you an idea of the crap components they used... After we installed a pin from Advance Auto (had to buy a new shock to get the pin and rubber piece) I took this comparison shot. It is ridiculously thinner than the cheaper auto part store shock!

SMDH Screenshot_20220804-195100_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Jeepz.com mobile app

I have to ask. Was the shock matched to the amount of lift? Does he 4 wheel and disconnect sway bars?
Shear indicates the shock was fully extended or received a shot with the force of an accident.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Not pickin' up what you're puttin' down

We didn't use the shock, just the pin and rubber absorber. His shock was intact, just sheared both sides of that pin.

And no, he is a lifter not a 4 wheeler!
Has a 3.25" lift on it and never takes it out anywhere.

I think he's saying that the suspension may have extended farther than the shock could travel, and the bar pin was the weakest link, so it broke.

I think he's saying that the suspension may have extended farther than the shock could travel, and the bar pin was the weakest link, so it broke.

Correct you want the springs to be the limiting factor. Avoid the limiter being the brake lines or shocks.
If you have shocks for a 2 in lift and add 1.5 in spring spacers the shock will limit droop.

Last edited:
Correct you want the springs to be the limiting factor. Avoid the limiter being the brake lines or shocks.
If you have shocks for a 2 in lift and add 1.5 in spring spacers the shock will limit droop.

Gotchya... his shocks are the 3-4" ones I believe so they have more travel, as they broke and shot through the top where the pin holds them and kept bumping around up there making the noise he heard.

Back