Rear Shock absorbers

XJNick

Hi,

This is sort of a theoretical question about rear shocks :mrgreen: . On the cherokee's rear end (leaf spring suspension). They mount the shock absorbers at an angle pointing in towards the center of the Jeep (the lower mounts are closer to the wheels than the upper mounts.)

I was just wondering if there is anything wrong with having the shocks go straight up and down, like ones for the front coil suspension? Would that negatively affect the ride?

-Nick :!:

If they are gas-charged shocks, the ride could be a little stiffer. The ideal mounting position for a shock is straight up and down, where it works properly at it's highest level of effeciency.

but also having them angled helps spring wrap on spring over vehicles, look at the shocks on a full sized chevy, they are on opposite sides to control spring wrap...

Yes... that makes sense.

The cherokee is spring over and the shocks are on alternate sides of the axle.

They do nothing for spring wrap if they are angled towards the center of the tub from the ends of the axle. That would be angling them towards the front and rear of the Jeep.

any way you put them.... as long as they are out of way of obstruction while in travel, it is fine... though... different setups will have different advantages

Thanks for the info.

I might have to remount my shocks to a more vertical position :mrgreen:

On a leaf sprung jeep the rear axle moves up and towards the rear during compression of the spring. Since the shock controls rebound of the spring the shocks may work better tilted to the rear a little.

Back