welding...

jeep90

whats up, i want to get into welding for the simple fact that i can start making the stuff that i waste my money on. i was looking at welders at sears and im confused. all i need it for is to make stuff like windshield mounts for lights and what not. i seen a few for around 100 to 300 dollars(thats what i hope to spend). but what type do i need and whats the difference? mig, stick, arc, tig, etc..... i know that it might be cheaper to just buy the little parts that i want but this way i can look at them and say, hey i built that...i also might want to weld some tow hooks onto a custom bumper that i am gonna build someday. so something that will make some good welds. if anyone here welds i would apreciate the info. thanks, j

you will certainly want a mig welder... a stick or arc welder is too hard to learn, tig welders are usually for smaller jobs... a mig welder can be learned in one day.. and is versatile for all applications

air lockers

I second that, I learned on a MIG and I never used anything else. Just remember you have to buy the right kind of spool and gas depending on what metal you are welding. (steel, aluminum)

Do yourself a favor and sign up for a welding class and at least learn the basics first. Our Vo-Tech Schools around here offer night classes, maybe you have something similar in your area. The welders you are looking at would be fine for repairs but I wouldn't want to be fabricating too much with them.

http://www.millerwelds.com/

Get the highest amp MIG welder you can, make sure it's rated for up to 1/4" steel.

And don't weld on tow hooks. You can weld on tabs to mount a clevis, but hooks should always be bolted to a bumper or frame.

that is right... if a tow hook DOES happen to break, you will want to be able to remove it and replace it... and... the shear weight of a good grade 8 bolt is much easier to get good strength out of then tinkering with different welds

Hobart Handler 135® MIG Welder with cart

Ready to weld with or without shielding gas. 120V, 30 to 135 amp welding range. Welds ga. up to 3/16 in. in 1 pass. Handles variety of solid mild steel or stainless, flux-cored and aluminum wires.

Sears item #00920545000
Mfr. model #20545

$449.88

.....or something like this.....

Craftsman MIG Welder

Welds steel from 24 ga. through 3/16 in. in a single pass. Stainless steel from 18 ga. through 1/8 in. thick. Also welds using flux-cored Welding Wire on steel from 18 ga. through 3/16 in.

Sears item #00920676000
Mfr. model #7-086-002

or......

Craftsman MIG Welder with Cart

Solid state electronic heat control with large PC board for better wire speed control. Weld mild steel, aluminum, stainless steel and cast iron. Tweco type torch with full on/off safety control.

Sears item #00920569000
Mfr. model #20569

Easily converts from gas to no-gas operation
8 ft. torch hose, operates from standard 120V outlet
Automatic thermal safety switch prevents overload
Multiple power settings for accurate welding power control
MIG welder uses solid-core wire (requires tank & shielding gas, sold separately)
Gasless welder uses self-shielding flux core wire ideal for welding in drafty areas
Welds thin 24 ga. sheet metal up to 3/16 in. steel for versatility/wide range of uses
Uses .024 and .030 in. solid core wire or .030 flux core wire
Accepts 4 to 8 in. spools - up to 12 lbs. of wire
Includes face mask, Chipping Hammer and brush

would any of these be ok???

thanks

2 gear popping out

good point about the tow hooks too.

all of the welders you mentioned are 3/16" at single pass welders... the one i have on the way is the same thing.... it CAN weld thicker metals, but you have to have the heat up, and you must pass 3 times to get a good weld... one in the vertex, and one at each side of it... if you don't plan on doing structural fabrication, it will be fine... it will work for body work, accessory fabrication, mounting brackets, tacking for larger work, and all small applications.... they certainly are not a bad start... basically look for the highest current (amps) at the lowest price... and... you definitely want a real MIG, not just a wire feed... a mig uses inert gas to keep the weld clean, a regular wire feed uses coated wire, which leaves a slag on the weld which must be removed before further welding or painting

I use a miller-matic 110 mig side-kick with 100% argon for stainless (for stuff around the house) and I have another miller 220 set up with a tank of 75% argon and 25% co2 which I use on steel and iron. If you want to weld aluminum, that is going to require a lot more specific tools. The wire spool that is used for aluminum is very soft and can kink up in the long transfer line, so you must buy a seperete spool gun.

I have seen lincoln welders with this spool gun and everything need to get started except gas for $600 (this is a 220 application.)

The most expensive thing about welding is the gas, about $120 for a tank filled, and if you have a leaky regulator and for get to turn the tank off (which I have done more than once) The next time you go to weld, your welds will look like sh*t and your out of gas! another $80 or so to fill!

so would the weld from the wire feed be just as strong as a real mig? and what do you have to do to clean the weld, use a wire brush? im on a budget and christmas is coming, and the wire feed only welders are about half the price, and keep in mind ill be a beginner.

a wire feed welder can be used without coated wire... but you'll make a mess... and you'll stink up everything around you with vaporized metal... i'm not sure on the strength, but for cleaning it, you should use a slag hammer for chipping, and a slag brush for cleaning more precise

Back