Where should I mount my amp?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting closer on my stereo install, and have started looking for a place to mount my amp. I can't seem to find a good spot. It's alittle too big to go under the front seat, and I don't want to put it under the back seat (I want to be able to remove the seat).

I'm sure that under the jeep, or in the engine would kill it. I've thought about securing it to the back of my driver's seat - I've even got a pocket in my seat cover, but this doesn't seem very good.

Any ideas / photos?

Somewhere in the dash, maybe??? I haven't really investiged, but I'm sure our "bulbous" TJ dashes have plenty of room in there somewhere - in amongst the air bags!:(

Terry, did you figure out a good place to mount it? Mine is under the rear seat but it kinda makes that area unusable as storage.

I still haven't. The standard answer is to make a rail and mount it under the front seat, but my amp is too big.

I've played with the idea of mounting the amp verticle on the tailgate, but that's not too stealth. Another option is to put it inside the console.

I'm not done with my sub box yet, so I haven't put too much time into thinking about the amp yet, but I'll come up with something.

Last edited:

but that's not too stealth. Another option is to put it inside the console.

If you do, go to the junk yard and look for 95+ chevy radio's they have small external 12 volt cooling fan on the back, similar to something you would find in a computer, I would wire two of them into a relay from the remote line from your deck, it will get pretty hot in there, and once the amp heats up enough, one of two things will happen, it turns off till it cools or it turns off for good.

Not sure how stealth you want to get, but we put a amp into a YJ a couple years ago and he was in a similar situation, we cut the floor under his rear seat and recessed it about 2.5" and put the amp in there, then we fabricated a cover to go over it, with the carpet over then, you would have never know it was there, even with the rear seat out. and yes, there were fans in there to move the air around and help prolong the life of the amp.

I know this is an old post and you probably have it done already, but what about mounting it literally on the speaker box? It makes it clean cut and looks sweet. That is what i am doing with my JBL subs in my wrangler. already have the box built, just gotta get an amp big enough.

Hmm, ok then, the only other options you would have that would look cool is on top of the fender well (not the greatest place to rest your arm tho) or behind the seat on the fender well standing vertically. Thats how we have the CJ's amp mounted and it looks freaking sweet.

I thought about the fender (vertically), but the amp it too long, and would stand up in the air. I'm either going to make a false floor, or mount it to the tailgate.

I ended up wrapping the amp in an old tshirt and just leaving it behing the rear seat. It's too big to mound anywhere else.

Once I finish a half dozen other projects I'll go back and build a cover for it.

I have built cover up's right over rear tire well hump

copy and paste this in brower

forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/518700/351187.html

Just make sure it can get plenty of air where it is. There's cooling fans in there and a big killer of amps (besides moisture) is heat.

I have built cover up's right over rear tire well hump

copy and paste this in brower

forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/518700/351187.html

RockinCrawler - did you fit your amp inside that cover over the tirewell? I'm pretty sure that my amp would be too large for that. Would you mind taking a photo of the cover lifted up?

Very well done work!

what amp do you have?? I'll try and get some pics with it lifted. My amp is Dimensions: 21.26" L x 7.6" W x 2.4" H and it has plenty of room!! I put a front in front and one inthe back to make sure air is circulated. Haven't had a single issue with it!

what amp do you have?? I'll try and get some pics with it lifted. My amp is Dimensions: 21.26" L x 7.6" W x 2.4" H and it has plenty of room!! I put a front in front and one inthe back to make sure air is circulated. Haven't had a single issue with it!

one day im gonna bulid a system like yours oh btw this is chayse

wat about instead of under the seat put it in the front set like upside down?

Im putting a system in mine and mine is a 97 and there is more than enough room under that seat.

Back